Lobsters diving to end 2013 on a good note

asaxon

Reaction score
View attachment 79638So the crew of the good ship “Moby Kate” headed out for the last little play in the Bay for 2013 to work off some of that X-mas eating excess. Plus I hadn’t been in the water since mid Nov when the Admiral and I had taken off for the sub-Antarctic Islands. Not only was I drying out badly but our lobster supply was severely depleted so it was time to catch some to eat as meals on hog hunts planned for after the first of the year. At the dock, we narrowly managed NOT getting arrested as escapes from the local asylum when the Coast Guard came by and saw us in our hats. I think they decided we were “mostly harmless” to copy a phase from Douglas Adams.

View attachment 79640 Under the command of Elf Capt F’nuts, then we headed up the SM coastline where conditions were great and simply got better and better as the day progressed. By 1 pm it was a lovely 73F+ with clear skies and a warm sun. The surface water was a balmy 65F (which is balmy for here especially on Dec 26th) and the surface conditions went from calm to flat glassy as the day went on. You can make out a divers bubbles just to the right of the flag in one picture. We were accompanied by the usual lady sea lions, shags, pelicans and a couple small schools of common dolphin. Other than these critters (and the MDR parasailing boat that went skimming by several times), we pretty much had the ocean to ourselves. Conditions underwater were very good with 15-20 foot vis. (quite nice for SM Bay) along with 56F water at 70 fsw which is just nice with a ¼” wetsuit. We rooted around on various rock piles and managed to scratch up some lobster for everyone. The only misfortune of the day was when I took my pole spear in on my last dive to get The Admiral her “required” calico bass for dinner. I pulled back on the rubber the first time and it busted so I was not able to get a fish for her. I immediately knew I was in deep trouble but figured sufficient groveling on my part along signed affidavits from the others as to my telling the truth would get me back in the house. It did, barely. One of our divers who is even more safety conscious than the rest of us decide to carry a “spare”; seemed a bit over the top but then again, who am I (a fellow wearing that silly elf hat that sings) to criticize? A great way to end the diving year. On this trip, my previously shattered left knee clearly was more functional and less painful than before which gives me great hope for continued improvement toward normal function.
View attachment 79641View attachment 79639View attachment 79642

View attachment 79645View attachment 79643
I would pass along for any of you who want a great underwater (or just water proof) really powerful lite – get the the Dive Right In Scuba’s 1000 lumen lite for $89. That’s right, 1000 lumens on 3 C batteries and it lasts for several hours at least for $89. Similar lights go for over $200. I bought one for the Admiral for X-mas and a second one for myself as a backup (Santa likes me).
View attachment 79644
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/lightsrecreationallights-drisdivegear-1000lumendivelight-p-3380.html

thewolfman

Reaction score
Nice...that's gonna be some great eating...congrats to your crew

KTKT70

Reaction score
Another great story Andy. Good job out there. If someday I am half outdoorsman that you are, I would be sitting pretty. Looks like a nice bunch of bugs that yall got. Only think I can think of that tops that is the time you told us about a bug dive while on a hog hunt. You sure do eat well out there my friend. Congrats again. Always fun to read about your trips.
glad your leg is getting better.
Take care
KT

asaxon

Reaction score
Another great story Andy. Good job out there. If someday I am half outdoorsman that you are, I would be sitting pretty. Looks like a nice bunch of bugs that yall got. Only think I can think of that tops that is the time you told us about a bug dive while on a hog hunt. You sure do eat well out there my friend. Congrats again. Always fun to read about your trips.
glad your leg is getting better.
Take care
KT
You got it all wrong - not much of an outdoorsman, just a good liar. I take my inspiration from Mark Twain...

asaxon

Reaction score
Nice catch!

Be careful out there, I understand that we have some bay visitors this holiday that I would not trust to be in the water with........

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2013/12/killer-whale-spectacle-in-santa-monica-bay-is-like-seaworld-without-the-tanks.html
Fantastic. Thanks for letting me know about the Orcas. I'm very sorry we didn't see these Orcas. Over the years, we have occasionally seen them in SM Bay and once were witness to the "superpod" of 60+ animals that show up every few decades. We had 30+ Orcas all around the boat and not one of us was tempted to jump in the water with them to take pictures - these transient Orcas are not well understood (as opposed to some resident pods such as in the Straights of Juan de Fuca) so we treat them with GREAT respect. They are the true ultimate ocean predator and while very smart and selective, you can't know what they are thinking... We always go out on New Year's Day and we'll be sure to look for them.

Andy

KTKT70

Reaction score
Well than.... Guess I need to work on my story telling than Huck. :smiley-mouse::smiley-mouse:

asaxon

Reaction score
Ending the season

So today, we slipped out of MDR to finish off the lobster season which ends next weds. We were all completely out of lobster for since the first of the year, we'd been going out to the Anacapa, Catalina & Santa Cruz to chase fish and let "the boys" take pictures as the water out there has been very clear while the coast has been pounded by some big surf with resultant lousy vis. Indeed, in late Feb we went up toward Topanga to look for bugs and scrubbed the day as the visabililty was 1-2 feet! I could just make out my hand at the end of my arm that day.

The conditions today topside were gorgeous with temps reaching 75 in the sun and a flat ocean. We jumped some 80 fsw rock piles and vis was 30' plus until the bottom but even there it was a nice 10+ feet. We all managed to scratch up a limit of bugs but got some nice calico - the Admiral's favorite. Good way to end the season. Had a couple of Gray whales go swimming by West of us as well as the Coast Guard practicing recoveries to a helo from small (40 foot) boat.

Now we can start giving some serious thought to hunting turkeys at the end of the month....

Stay warm and safe out there....

View attachment 80369and some nice calico after three dives.

Top Bottom