Local Doves

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I know a lot of JHP members are making great treks to Blythe, Yuma, or Imperial Valley for the dove opener.  I am jealous, but I just can't make that kind of journey for doves this time of year.

My family spends every Labor Day in the San Bernardino Mountains.  I see doves here and there around our place (near Barton Flats), but not with any great frequency.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a good area, south of Big Bear, where I might find some doves.

Also, does anyone know of a place in Orange County or on the west/south sides of the Cleveland National Forest, possibly off Hwy 74?

As usual, I am not asking for anyone's secret hot spot, just some general information.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
T F Coyote,

Check your Message Box...

Bryan

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
How bout Four Winds Pheasant Club in Moreno Valley.  Anyone know anything about the dove hunting on the opener at this place.

I too am restricted this year to a close to home (orange county) spot and am looking for any help.

Thanks.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Caz:

I've phaesant hunted there a few times.  There's duck ponds on the properties on both sides of the club, so there should be dove out and flying.  He also assigns you large fields, so you don't have to worry about getting peppered with shot.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'm in Orange County and I've been trying to find a place close enough to get a shoot in before work.  I'm try to find out some more info about the Coal Canyon ER on the OC/Riverside border.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Caz,

I've hunted at Four Winds many times...2 times have been on the Dove Opener...I wouldnt say theres a bunch of doves, both times there were hunters scatted all over the place tring to shoot a few birds crossing the fields. It seemed that the birds would come in waves and there was water in the duck ponds that borders the property..I got a few, it was fun for a local hunt. He'll let you camp out the night before, so that makes it nice. After the dove shoot, then he'll plant your birds in your field...Not a bad little deal for a close to home trip....
                                                                                                      Bryan

(Edited by HOGHUNTER714 at 12:19 pm on Aug. 10, 2002)

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
FullSack,

What have you found out so far about the Coal Canyon ER in OC/Riverside..I was on the 91 Yesterday and I saw a few guys at the gate, that leads right onto the dirt road that takes you through the property. I should of stopped and see what info I could dig up..Looks like a decent area and I wanna follow up on this.

Bryan

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I hunted in Chino for years, near the Prado area, until two years ago when I was told to leave (by seven well armed Chino police officers with guns drawn).

Go to Arrowhead. I saw quite a few dove near the Deep Creek area.

steve

Top Bottom