Locating a Camera Box

deerslayer

Reaction score
I am working on my first camera and have the sensor modifications completed.  Does anyone have suggestions of a easy first time camera box?
The box shown in the 'How to Modify the Radio Shack Mini PIR Alarm Sensor Unit' Article looks like a good, simple starter box.  Any ideas where to find one, or one like it?

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Welcome deerslayer,

For my cameras, I used a 3x5x7 RS hobby box as the enclosure.  It cost about 6-7 dollars, and they had them at Radio Shack when I bought my other parts.  They also have them on their website.  It has worked well for me.

Some other guys have used ammo boxes or small pistol cases with good success.  Just try to find something that is the right size, and it will probably work.  Come to think of it, Tinhorn made one in a empty Nestle container.  Look through the pics of cameras section for some ideas.  Good luck with the camera.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
deerslayer - If you use Jon Bain's Cam in a Radio Shack 6 X 4 X 2 Hobbie Box, everything fits without using glue or screws.  I just build 3 of them, and I kept a project log on my WebPages if you want to read up on it.  Good luck.    

HunterJay

Reaction score
i found a company which sells clear waterproof boxes on the net. they are clear which is better than anything ive used before because you can see everything in them be able to mark your holes easier than any other box ive treid. The company is GSIoutdoors.com after trying this box i promise you wont use any other box out there. simple snaps for the back cover rather then screws. you cant also paint the box with no problem.

bradleydale

Reaction score
HunterJay what area do you find these containers??? or under what category??

deerslayer

Reaction score
HunterJay, What size did you order? (small, medium, large, X-Large)

Did you order them from GSI Outdoors or did you order them from another place?

tdixon

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE
I'VE JUST FINISHED AND FEILD TESTED MY FIRST GAME CAMERA. I USED A 50. CAL. AMMO CAN. IT IS IN MY OPINION THE BEST HOUSING TO USE, IF YOU CAN GET SOME.30 CAL. IS GOOD ALSO.IT'S WATER TIGHT AND YOU DON.T HAVE TO TAKE IT OF THE TREE TO CHANGE THE FILM.I USED A 2 1/4 INCH HOLE CUTTER THAT FITS ON A DRILL TO CUT THE HOLES.THEN I USED RTV TO GLUE THE GLASS OVER THE HOLES. FOR THE SENSOR DON'T COVER THE HOLE WITH GLASS.  I USED THE REGENT SENSOR,LEFTED IT IN THE HOUSING  AFTER I MODIFIED IT. THEN I GLUED A 2 INCH PIECE OF PVC PIPE TO THE LENSE OF THE SENSOR.THIS  CHANNELED THE SIGHT WINDOW FOR THE SENSOR. THEN I MOUNTED THE SENSOR WITH THE PVC THROUGH THE HOLE FOR THE SENSOR .SEAL THE EXCESS HOLE WITH RTV. YOU CAN TUNE YOUR SENSOR BEAM BY TESTING WHERE IT TRIGGERS. CUT THE PVC BACK UNTIL YOU LIKE THE COVERAGE AREA. HOPE THIS HELP.

HunterJay

Reaction score
i used the small and it fits perfect. Tight seal also. a little more expensive but will last you 10x as long

Latest Posts

Top Bottom