lock-up on AF w/big round switch

bigmandude

Reaction score
i have one camera that seems to keep locking up.  it is an owl AF with the big round switch.  i have tried it in auto mode and in constant flash mode.  when i come back to check this particular cam it is locked up .. last time it stopped after 11 photos, (all falsies) this time it had no falsies but locked up at pic #1   i didnt think this camera was equipped with a shut down feature.  any ideas

bigmandude

Reaction score
since nobody had any ideas i thought id ask once more just in case..  if i cant figure it out ill have to replace the camera, it works fine just turns itself off,

could it possibly be a refresh thing like you guys are having with the pf models?  how can i check it.

or has anyone else had the big round switch model lock up?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi bigman,
Sounds like the same problem the PFs have....Are you using the MS-20??
If something keeps moving in front of the MS-20, it will keep the shutter "pressed".  If the shutter stays "pressed" for more than ~3 or 4 minutes the cam can "lock-up".  That's why Tinhorn/Welby et al created the timer circuits on Jesses web-site.
>>>
The "refresh" for the PF is only to eliminate the irritating several second picture delay that occurs after the camera has sat idle for hours.

Archilochus

bigmandude

Reaction score
i guess the only way to know is to turn it on and put it on the top shelf in the closet for a few days and see if it is locking up or turning itself off, i have intentionally used the AF cameras because of what you guys have said about the refresh on the pf's i want to keep things as simple as possible, electronically.

thanks

gizz

Reaction score
Thats a good ideas bigmandude. Put it in the closet for a few days where nothing will trigger it. Especially for 3 to 5 minutes (about how long constant motion takes to lock up the cam). I currently have NO timers of any sort on my cams and never had one lock up yet. Could be a bad relay or relay gone bad on your sensor that is staying closed once tripped.
Try the closet deal first and let us know.
BTW, you'll have to shut of the camera(lense) then re-open it to "wake" it back up.

Oh, one more thing, you'd have to have at least a single picture if the sensor/relay is being tripped then staying closed. Hmmmm.......maybe the camera wiring has worked loose or shorted? Low battery????

Let us know how the closet test works...
later,gizz

horndog

Reaction score
curious to know, are you running a jack from the cam? I had the same problem with my AF. Turned out to be the wires were switched on the jack itself. Switched the wires and it works fine now. We just had a torrencial downpour for 2 days in S.W. Missouri. Hadabout 4" of rain fall...talk about being worried about the cam. I also have no timer on mine and as soon as I walked up on it, itflashed and took my pic.
Oh, no water in my ammo box by the way.

Possum

Reaction score
Maybe this will help.  I used a stereo jack and plug.  When I pushed the plug too far into the jack, the OWL PF locked up after the first picture.  I have to make sure that I only push the plug to a certain point.  I am not happy with the RS parts I am using for this.  I am trying to find a replacement plug and jack that has closer tolerances.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Possum,
Yeah, the RS jacks can sometimes cause problems. While many of them are fine, occasionally you get a dud.  I got so tired of the RS jacks not working right in various projects that I refuse to use any of them.  Be warned that cheapies from any company might have the same problem.  If ordering from a mail-order company, expect to pay around 1.50+ for a decent jack.  If the company offers choices - buy the products listed as "High-Reliability" or "Hi-Rel"  -  they're always worth the extra money in the long run.

Archilochus

Possum

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.  If it was a complete dud it would have been better.  The way it is, you would think you have it plugged in and if it 1 hair off it won't work.  Thanks again.

bigmandude

Reaction score
OK, just pulled that camera out of the woods, it had a full roll taken this time ... took 3 days befor the first picture was taken then 2 more the next morning then bam...20 shots of nothing.... aaaarrrrggg!!

well at least she didnt lock up again.

Top Bottom