Locked and Loaded

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Well, my camera is completed! I spent most of Friday night putting it together so I could get it in the woods while I was at hunting camp this weekend. I built the RS sensor model using the OWL PF Date and the RS 3X5X7 hobby box (looks just like NCBowhunters pic). I found the camera at the local K-Mart for $39.
I have it set up on a line of huge scrapes, which believe it or not, are still active this late in the year. I have hunted them several times but never seen anything. I assume he is moving through at night. No more assuming for me! This is a great site. really helpfull. The camera worked like a charm on the first try.

I sould have some great pics next week.

max

Reaction score
Good Job!! Can't wait to see those Pictures..... Good Luck!!

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Walked outside in the AM a few days ago and a large bush in my front yard had been savagely violated in the night, this in the middle of december!

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Well, my first roll of film was of 24 lovely sunsets. I moved the camera and got 24 shots of equally beutiful sunrises. Pretty disappointing. Though not one to be easily defeated I set it out with a 3rd roll of film and got 3 shots of nothing and one doe. Not sure what set the 3 shots off, but I was pretty pleased to finally get a deer on film.

The bad news is I am sure the buck came through and experienced the OWL flash even though there was no film left so I had to move the cam to another trail since he won't be back to that spot until he stops seeing flashes when he closes his eyes.

I also rebuilt the cam and moved the setup into a waterproof enclosure since when I checked the cam after the first roll it was full of water to the point that it had completely drained the batteries and caused the speaker output to no longer function (this is where I had the test LED connected). While I was at it I added an event counter which can be viewed externally. I also added a light sensor so I can switch between 24 hour and daylight (hunting) hours only. I also added a piece of 3 in. PVC over the front of the PIR to reduce the chance of capturing more than my my share of lovely sunsets, while also limiting the PIR sensor width to within camera field of view.

One final addition I plan to do is to add the timer. I hope to have some pics worthy of posting next week.

Fubar

Reaction score
GeorgiaHunter Look over the pics where you see nothing very carefully. Sometimes there is something there you dont see until you take a closer look.               Fubar

South

Reaction score
GH,

The owl wont take a picture or flash after the film has rewound, (at least mine wont).

Possum

Reaction score
That's probably a good buck.  I've found the big deer keep rutting and the younger ones pack up this late in the year.  I doubt the flash scared him though.  I have multiple pics of the same bucks month after month after month.

Stever

Reaction score
Caution when setting the cam always set up facing the north and south. It cost me a few rolls to figure that out! What kind of event counter did you add?
That sounds interesting.
Good luck on the next roll.

abedford

Reaction score
Boy does your experience sound like my own!  First few rolls were disappointing while getting the bugs worked out.....I once stood at the One Hour Photo desk at Walmart the WHOLE TIME waiting anxiously for my two rolls to be developed (driving the technician nuts) only to receive 48 prints of the sun and nothing else.  The technician must have thought I just escaped from a mental hospital.

Yes, I added a rain shield (after cooking one RS PIR after rain seeped in).  And yes, I've since added event counters (very, very handy).  Again, yes, I had to narrow the field of view of the PIR after getting pictures of noses and butts (or nothing at all).

You'll get it ironed out like I did.  My last 8 rolls have only had about 5-6 empty pics COMBINED.

Great fun, isn't it?

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Stever, I added the following event counter from RS. Pretty straight forward and inexpensive.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...5Fid=910%2D4925.

I also upgraded the switched to the larger metal variety. I started with the very small plastic ones and found them to be too delicate for this application. These switches are quite a bit more expensive, but are much sturdier!

Here is the link to the light sensor I added as well. I used the dark sensing design with a NC contact DIP relay. This way I can select 24 hr by simply powering down the circuit to save batteries. I found that I had to triple the resistance called out in the design in order get the trigger level just right. I used 1 47K resistor instead of the 1K called for and added 2 47K pots. Works like a champ!

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/actrelay.htm

jayber

Reaction score
Congrats on your camera completion!  Share some pics of it and some wildlife when you get a chance?

Stever

Reaction score
georgia hunter thank you but i tried to pull up that RS event counter but no luck. Is the product code 910-4925. The url link you gave did not work for me any thoughts?

Stever

Reaction score
georgia hunter, I found the event counter at rs thanks. Counter is one that totals every trigger. Then you reset.
Sounds like you know your electronics stuff thanks for being on the forum. Guys like myself that learned how to solder just to make a couple of cams really appreciate you. Maybe you can give Brian a hand with that multitimer project he is working on we are all anxious to see that baby in action! Thanks again!

Dbworld

Reaction score
I couldn't pull up the RS event timer either...does this just give a count or does it put out a date and/or time and a count...or just a count.  which would still be pretty cool.  Date and time would be really cool.  

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
The counter merely gives a total of the number of triggers (same as the frame counter on the camera), only you can see it from outside the box assuming you mount it there. I used this to save me from having to pull the camera out of the enclosure only to find out there were no pics. Try going to radio shack and searching on 910-4925

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom