locked gates on public roads.

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
This pisses me off to no end. Feeny ridge road. 30 N 31. Forest service brown signs at beginning of road with call numbers and even a big brown sign with the name of the road. Read the sign behind the locked gate on the tree. It says close to vehicle use Oct 31 to may 1. It is sept and it is locked. If we don't call the forest service on this stuff. The loggers will keep the good stuff locked up foe there own private hunting. Do you homework. Know the laws. I will be calling both agencies Monday to complain.

View attachment 78032

sabershooter

Reaction score
Is that sierra pacific lumber sign there land is open to hunters there website says sucks a gate was locked

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
Yes the bottom of sign it says " all others enter at their own risk." Its all fine and good. But I have a bad ankle. I can walk but not real far. So access to public land is a big deal.

sabershooter

Reaction score
Ya that's a bummer to hear about about ur knee other than that u see anything or any good leads for yourself........what zone were u in

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
That is b zone between french gulch and trinity center. My son shot a forked horn today.

velvet55

Reaction score
loggers to that because they have the keys and know where the deer are..........it sucks. i have even sen people lock gates simply to keep a spot. ya never know who is doing what....or what is really public or private sometimes due to people.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I met some guys that told me if a gate is locked and they can't get to their usual spots, the guys with the key to the lock wouldn't be able to get through the gate either. One of the guy hinted that they carry half inch long cut paper clips and told me I can figure the rest out.

buckhunter

Reaction score
That does suck but sounds like a good hiking opportunity to me. Less road hunters.

huntingbret

Reaction score
I hate locked gates as well especially when the area I want to hunt would still be a 3 hours hike away. I do agree with the less road hunters to encounter but dragging a big buck back would be a b****. LOL

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My son and I walked in past a locked gate once. Hiked/hunted for about 3 hours and reached the end of the road. Just as we got there, we hear a noise...sure enough, someone in a jeep came rolling up. Total BS!! If it's locked to us, it should be locked to everyone. By the way, when the guys in the jeep saw us, they immediately turned around and left. Maybe they thought I was going to get the license plate.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
ZEKE,
SPI also closed all the gates to the Cohassette Ridge last year and this year. Last year I found one of the gate opened and drove in. While I was inside, I met another truck with four guys in it. They waived me down and one of the guy walked out to talk to me. He asked what I was doing in there. Noticed they were in camo clothes so I told them I was doing the same thing they were doing. He told me I was not supposed to be in there. And I asked why are they in there also. He told me the place was private property. Luckily there was a sign 20 yards from the road that says, "Property boundary, National Forest Land behind this sign." I pointed to that sign asked him, "What did that sign say?" He said, "you really shouldn't be in here." He looks to be in his early 20s so I told him, "I have been hunting these mountains before you were born. So why are you telling me I'm not supposed to be hunting here?" I told him our debate was done and I drove off. I wasn't sure how they got out as there were only three exit off that side of the mountain to hwy. All three had locked gates. I went back to the gate that I came in through and it was locked. I was able to exit to the hwy through about 50 yards of intense 4wheeling, but I think that other truck has something to do with locking up the opened gate that I went in.

slanttop357

Reaction score
We might see a lot more locked gates if they shut down the Gov, hope nobody has plans to go to Yosemite bummer. Good luck with your locked gates.

signguy

Reaction score
I always have a little Honda 70 in the back of my truck- locked gates don't stop me from getting where I want to go.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I always have a little Honda 70 in the back of my truck- locked gates don't stop me from getting where I want to go.
My cousin carries a quad on the back of his truck. He parked at the locked gate, took his quad around the gate, and when he came back, found his truck tires flat with slashes on the sidewall. Not sure if it was the guys locking the gates or someone else, but it is pretty obvious who would slashed the tires.

voidecho

Reaction score
My cousin carries a quad on the back of his truck. He parked at the locked gate, took his quad around the gate, and when he came back, found his truck tires flat with slashes on the sidewall. Not sure if it was the guys locking the gates or someone else, but it is pretty obvious who would slashed the tires.
I'm going to get a trail camera just to have it watch my car/truck if and when I get around to hunting on public property. Bunch of asshats out there.

signguy

Reaction score
Those are sweet how much u want for it ?
Need both of my 70's- one for me and one for the kid. I bought both of them used (3 years old) for $1700.00. They are tough as they come and run forever on a tank of gas.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom