Long Range Caliber

NikolaKangrga

Iam looking to purchase a caliber for LONG range shooting. I have been looking into the .300 win mag. but now iam curious about the .300 win short mag. What do you guys think?

weekender21

Define LONG. 400 yards or 1000 yards. The 300 WIN MAG would be a decent choice. I would recommend heavy bullets for really long (over 800) yard shooting. A 190 gr bullet will maintain a higher velocity at that distance than say a 150 gr bullet. Do you hand load?

myfriendis410

Thirty caliber or larger: i.e. .338. You can not shoot long range with factory ammo; they don't make anything suitable. The Army uses the .300 win mag and there are some fine shooters using that and other platforms. At one time the 7mm rem mag was the hot ticket. I know a guy that shoots his .308 at 1,000 yards in competition. He's decidedly weird, but he hits the target. The 30-06 will do the job too. You have to use a LONG and heavy bullet; the 190 grain Sierra Match King for example in the .30 caliber. To do the job right, you would have to have a full custom rig with a match chamber to be able to shoot the kind of groups the masters turn in.

Good luck!

weekender21

You definitely can shoot factory loads at 1,000 yards. There are quite a few companies out there that make "match" grade ammunition. You will pay top dollar for it. I would assume that if you get into the long range shooting, you will eventually get into loading your own. It will defiantly save you money and yes, you will shoot better if you can match a specific load to your gun.

dp1077

JHO Team Member
Alot of long range bench shooters are using the 7mm short mag.Great long range capability,from what I have read some guys are shooting 3" groups at 1000yrds.The record is a 5 shot group in 2.67" at 1000yrds.But from what I read it is a B.C. record,don't know what the American record is.

sidepass

Long range shooting at paper only ? will it eventully get used for game later. In general i'd take the 300 win mag over the short mag, will handle heavier longer bullets better. And next on my list would be the 7mm rem mag. Then you have the super mags, recoil and muzzle blast galore. And the weight to make shooting them comfortable and again you'll need to reload.

JMO sidepass

Now if I was going to do it! 338 Lapua Mag. But oh my the cost.

DEERSLAM

I use a custom built 7mmSTW as my long range rig. It'll shoot better and farther than I am capable.

weekender21

The 7mmSTW is an awesome hunting caliber. If you are planning on using this long range gun for more of a bench shooting application, I would use something else. The velocities you get with the STW will ware out the rifling on your barrel too fast. Again, a great long range hunting caliber but if you plan on shooting it a lot, I would avoid that one. No offense DEERSLAM.

bpnclark

Banned
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaKangrga @ Jan 13 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Long range meaning 800-1000 yards.[/b]
If you’re serious and want to spend the $ it’s the 30-378 Weatherby. There are a couple of companies that make custom long range ammo for it, but the Weatherby factory ammo is just as good (but its expensive).

richracer1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaKangrga @ Jan 13 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Iam looking to purchase a caliber for LONG range shooting. I have been looking into the .300 win mag. but now iam curious about the .300 win short mag. What do you guys think?[/b]
Are you wanting this caliber for hunting or just paper punching? There are fantastic bullets out there for paper punching at long ranges, but are crap when used for hunting, like the Nosler Custom Comp, Sierra Matchking and so on. Please give us more info on the intended uses of this caliber.

NikolaKangrga

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richracer1 @ Jan 14 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaKangrga @ Jan 13 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iam looking to purchase a caliber for LONG range shooting. I have been looking into the .300 win mag. but now iam curious about the .300 win short mag. What do you guys think?[/b]
Are you wanting this caliber for hunting or just paper punching? There are fantastic bullets out there for paper punching at long ranges, but are crap when used for hunting, like the Nosler Custom Comp, Sierra Matchking and so on. Please give us more info on the intended uses of this caliber.
[/b][/quote]

Will be used for paper punching. Although I would like to hunt yotes at long ranges aswell. I once watched a show of a professional predator hunter who is hired on by ranchers to help take care of their yote populations. This guy would set up on spots where he had a vantage point of areas he felt as if he would spot a yote or two. Then make 500-1000 yard shots on yotes. Really caught my eye. So I would deff like a caliber/bullet which is not only accurate but can be used for hunting aswell.
Thanks,
Nick-

DEERSLAM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weekender21 @ Jan 13 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 7mmSTW is an awesome hunting caliber. If you are planning on using this long range gun for more of a bench shooting application, I would use something else. The velocities you get with the STW will ware out the rifling on your barrel too fast. Again, a great long range hunting caliber but if you plan on shooting it a lot, I would avoid that one. No offense DEERSLAM.
[/b]
None taken. My rifle is for hunting only and I'll likely never shoot the barrel out.

weekender21

If you push 190-ish gr bullet out of a 300WM, you will have much less wind drift at long range compared to a lighter bullet. You should expect a muzzle velocity of about 2,900fps depending on your barrel length.

You will need target turrets on your optics. There are quite a few companies that offer scopes that will fit the bill. I would recommend Leupold or Night Force. You want a scope that will allow for plenty of elevation drop if you're planning to shoot out to 1000.

NikolaKangrga

thank you all for so much help once again! 300wm deff seems to be a good choice for myself, but, y not the .300 WSM? I was under the impression the .300 wsm had better ballistics.
Weekender21, I understand what you mean by bullet weight. What kind of bullets would you suggest or recommend? especially since hunting with the round will hopefully take place once I become efficient with it and trust myself enough to make a "1000 yard" shot at a yote.

weekender21

1000 yard shots at coyotes are quite an accomplishment for even the best marksmen. At that distance, even if you are shooting a one minute gun, you can only expect 10 inch groups on zero wind days. Finding a good load and lots of practice will make perfect. Let me do a little research and get back to you with some bullet suggestions.

Speckmisser

.300 win mag is a good bet. There are competition shooters using the .308, and it's definitely do-able, but I think the .300 is taking that piece of the market. As far as the Win Mag vs the WSM, I think Sidepass hit it... the long action handles a longer bullet a little better, which is a benefit if you're reaching out there past the 600 yard mark.

If you want to get into exotic stuff, check out Lazzeroni. Screaming, long-range chamberings. But that's for the Ferarri-set, not the Ford and Chevy folks.

NikolaKangrga

Ok, so I decided to go with the .300 win mag. I am pretty excited about this! Ive also decided to build my own rifle. Knowing NOTHING about these rifles, I was wondering if anybody has built a long range rifle? I am going to begin researching barrels, actions, scope, rings and bases and stocks online. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. Since I will be taking my time purchasing bits and pieces as time goes, I do not want to take any short cuts. I would like to build a rifle that is "built" to make those long shots. Thanks again-

I will also post what I find online....

Top Bottom