• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Long range hunting 3006

m40a13006

Hello guys and gals I have a question in regards to my rifle.
It's a long action 3006 rem 700 Schneider contract barrel 1:12 twist
Chamber for 168gr federal gm. I would like to hunt deer
And hogs out to 600+ yards. It was put together by merlyn rifle
Works in riverside. So is it a good choice or am I stretching the distanced.

myfriendis410

Why shoot hogs at 600 yards? That's not hunting hogs. Get up on 'em. You can get to mere FEET from a hog if you want. There may come a time when deer hunting that you will have that "Trophy of a Lifetime" on the ridge six hundred yards away. THEN you might want to make the long shot. Don't do it unless you practice it.

As to the 30-06 being capable: sure. Are there better choices? Maybe. But be aware that there is a lot more than the gun that goes into shooting long range.

m40a13006

yes i have shot it, i have been practicing at does ranges and further. i know i can harvest a hog closer but thats not what i want to do. i've been bitten by the long range bug and i don't want to try and take game at that distance with out proper fire power to make a ethical shot. i am doing everything i can to prepare myself for such task thats why i was enquiring about my choice in caliber since all i have done to this point is paper punching and steel targets.

myfriendis410

To me, it shows more respect for the animal to get up close. If you are going to shoot long range, save it for predators and varmints. Too much can happen between the pull of the trigger and the impact of the bullet. Then you're making a RUNNING shot at long range. Bullets behave differently when they are below their opening threshold too, which makes bullet placement even more critical.

slanttop357

Prong horn yes, pig no deer maybe, dude i like the rush i get when i know i set my self up in the right place and that 100yrd shot will be coming, and what about the sound of a well placed shot u know that "Smack/ Thud. Also thats a long way to travel to get to your wounded animal if need be and a quick shot to put it down, I say Hog Wash on a 600yrd shot, good luck.

jerryt

The farthest I have shot my 30-06 is around 525. I don't think I would want to shoot any further than that. I've killed two elk over 500 one at 505 and one at 515 yards and they both rolled over dead where they were standing. Shot an antelope this year with the 270 at 515 yards and he fell over dead. I've never shot a pig over 50 yards because you can get up on them so easily. I had a friend shoot a blacktail last year at 1009 yards with a 300 fitted with one of those Huskama scopes. It was very impressive. I think overall the 30-06 has the capability to provide the punch on a hog at 600 yards but I like it when you can hear them snoring and you stick them with an arrow at a couple of yards.

BDB

Since you didn't ask "should I" I'll hold off on that opinion. As to the "Can I?". Well with the right bullet you'll still maintain over 1000fp of energy at 600 yards. While not ideal, for deer this is still enough energy if you hit 'em right. A big boar with a 2"+ plate might be a different issue.

54hawken

I am sure the rifle with the correct ammo is capable but are you? Very few have the training and ability to make a clean kill at that distance.

Top Bottom