Longbow Found During Moving a Buddy

quaildeath

Reaction score
It's an older 40 lb longbow. Looks like the rest fell off. Leather wrapped grip only. It a nice layered wood model with some kind of shiney finish.

Can somebody give me the run down on selecting a string, checking it for safety, affixing a rest, arrow selection and length?

All that I know right now is that an archery shop told me to wax it and look for micro fissures and cracks. If it goes crash boom bang!, will I be putting a limb through my limb or rib cage. What do I need to look for for safety and to determine if it is even worth putting together?

Thanks y'all!

solus

Reaction score
If there is cracks at all dont pull it back. It can possibly hurt you or worst. If its cracked just hang it up.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Take it to Archery Outpost and have em give it a check for you, they can supply you with everything you'll need if it isn't cracked.

quaildeath

Reaction score
Where's it at Bruce? I'm in OC too. Is it the shop by Turners in FV and Prehistoric Pets?

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
The shop gave u good advice, if it has concerning fractures all u can do is pull back to see if it's good with risk of course.
I have plenty of strings for recurves and longbows so If u give me a very accurate length of the bow I might have a string for u i will hook u up with. As far as shelf material I bought some adhesive back felt padding squares from home depot I cut to fit the shape of the bow shelfs. 3 Rivers Archery has very good quality cedar shafts arrows with feathers for a reasonable price. More then likely u will need maybe A 31- 32 shaft length. Once u have s string on it u might have to go to pro shop for correct arrow sizing unless u have any long arrows your self to try.
A lot of shops are hesitant to pull those very old longbows back if they show and fracture signs and will warn u before they do the risk of them snapping. And they usually recommend them as decorative wall hangers.......tra

hks95134

Banned
Reaction score
We have a group of longbow enthusiasts at our local archery range and club.

They can't hit sheot with them but the do have fun getting all dressed up like Robin Hood's.

Any ordinary recurve bow is going to be 10 times as accurate as a longbow.

And any ordinary compound bow is going to be 100 times more.

Other than dressing up like Robin Hood's, there seems to be little usefulness to any longbow.

quaildeath

Reaction score
Some photos. May be glass. Are the numbers poundage, draw length and overall length?

Last edited:

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yeh that's 68" long 40 lb. Pull and 28" draw length. I will check when I get home for a sting for u. And i have other goodies too 4 u......tra

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yeh that type of longbow doesn't have a shelf , your hand is the arrowshelf.
U still might be able to put a flipper rest on it i will post 1 later 4 u 2 check out later when I get home....tra

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Quaildeath usually the recommended string length for recurves and longbows is 3", 3 1/2" to 4 " shorter then the bow length so a string between 65", 64 1/2 , 64" would be in the size range. I have a 63 once stretched a little about a 63 1/2 string for tour bow.
If u want I will mail it out to u just pm me your adress.
The only problem the string being a hair shorter might put stress on the limbs and risk damage.
U can get a nice string from a pro shop between $14.- $18. Dollars.
So it's up to u if u want me to send it out to u and u can check it out i have plenty of them and mailing cost is nothing for a string. I be happy to take care of u bro.
I have a couple string nocks I can throw in too.......tra

quaildeath

Reaction score
Thanks man, I'm going to do a little more research first.

Top Bottom