Longbow shooter from NC San Diego

Jerelison

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am new to this site and new to hunting. Just thought I would introduce myself. I am Jeremy and I shoot a Howard Hill Big Five 67 inch 62lbs. longbow. I shoot strictly Hill style although I started with a selfbow. I have been enjoying hunting and scouting CNF. I have not bagged anything yet but that will come in time. Who here has or currently shoots Hills bows? I know I am a very rare breed. lol. I would love to find an experienced traditional bowyer to hunt with as well.

Jeremy

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Welcome, Jeremy.
You're not all that rare of a breed, there are lots of people using Hill-style bows. My first longbow was a Pete George Hill-style. Only reason it's in a new home now is I didn't fit its grip well. Now I use either a Steve Abbott glass lam longbow or a self bow of my own making.

Guy

slanttop357

Reaction score
Welcome, Howard hill big five i am jealous, why did i ever sell my Sweetheart ? because i was young and not so bright.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Earl Hoyt longbow and TD recurve here. Welcome to the group Jeremy. Next Aug come shoot some quail with us.

Jerelison

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the warm welcome! I like to see there are some longbow shooters out there. Guy- Pete George, he's a very sought after bow builder! His bows were very aesthetic and pleasing to the eye. Sounds like you guys have had some real gems. Yeah I would love to come quail hunting. I would love to hang out with people with more hunting experience then me. Have a great holiday everyone!

Jeremy

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Yup. The Pete George bow had a noble lineage.
Howard Hill taught John Shultz how to make bows and Shultz taught Pete George. I really liked the bow but the Abbott fit me better and it wasn't fair for such a nice bow to sit in the corner and not be used. It went to a new home with a gentleman who knew exactly what he was getting and who cherishes it.
I may get another Hill-style bow again someday. Or if I get really caught up maybe I'll make an all bamboo Hill-style bow with no glass. That would be a great project.

Guy

Jerelison

Reaction score
Guy, an all bamboo bow would be awesome! Just like Howard Hill and John Schulz's bow's. Someday I would like to make myself a laminated bow. Do you have experience making longbows?

Jeremy

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I've got a little bit. I've made a couple hickory longbows and a helped quite a few people get started making their first wood bow. But I'm not nearly as good as some of the guys I hang out with.
A friend who lives near me in Apple Valley is a bowyer who makes all wood laminated bows that are pretty nice. I'm sure he'd help me with forms, bandsaw, and such for making a bamboo Hill-style bow.

Guy

Jerelison

Reaction score
Nice. Just curious do the all bamboo bows take any limb set since they don't have glass? I have had a couple hickory bows they were great. Have you bagged a fair amount of game with your stickbow's? So Spectr17 where is the location for the quail hunt this coming Aug. Redlands? I looked it up its only about an hour and half from me apparently.

Jeremy

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I wouldn't really expect laminated limbs to take much set, if any. If it was a concern you could always glue in a bit of backset to counteract it.
On the other hand, lots of guys say that a little bit of stringfollow makes a better shooting wood bow. Sounds like you'd need to make two or three bows so they could be compared.
As for game, between license costs, Adventure Pass costs, gas costs, and just generally being tight on money, I've given up hunting in California.

Guy

Top Bottom