Longest coyote kill

songdog

Reaction score
While I was in ID bird hunting this last weekend, we saw a coyote from the truck out in a pasture.  We turned the truck around and went back to put him out of commission (direct orders from the ranchers out there).  When we stopped the coyote put it in high gear and was out of sight in an instant.  

We then noticed a second coyote sitting on a berm out in the pasture about 400 yards out.  I was shooting a .17 MachIV and that's just too far for that little 25gr bullet.  My friend prompted me to shoot and I crossed my fingers and closed my eyes and shot.  He happend to pull out the video camera and caught the whole thing.  

The coyote started kicking wildly and dropped over the back side of the berm.  I was pretty amazed that I connected and my friend took the long walk out to the berm.  When he crossed it and popped back up on this side he had a coyote in his hands.

It took him 10 minutes to walk back with that thing.  Shot him right through the chest.  Perfect placement... I didn't tell him I had my eyes closed :wink-yellow:  I tried to buy a lottery ticket on the way home but couldn't find a store.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Keeping my eyes open must be the problem... I'll have to try it your way! My longest hit on a yote is 275-300yds. No rangefinder but I think it is a fair guess. Closest one was 12 paces. My farthest deer was 3000 miles cuz I know thats how far I had to drag him.        Scott

22 250

Reaction score
Great shot.  I have shot a lot of old CD at 400 yards, but never had a opportunty to shoot a prediator beyond 100 to 125 yards.   Your shoot proves that a small 25gr can do the job if you do your.

Fubar

Reaction score
22-250  Welcome to Jesses Forum. What is your favorite load in your 22-250?            Fubar

Modocer

Reaction score
As a cattle rancher I really hate to hear about taking 400 yard shots at coyotes. I can't tell you how many three legged coyote I have had to deal with. 9 times out of 10 if we lose a calf to a coyote it is because it has had one of it's legs shot off. during the winter months a healthy coyote hunts rodents. An injured coyote must go for the easy  meal, the new born calf.
I am not saying don't shoot coyotes, just take good shots when they are close enough to kill them.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Think any of those 3 legged yotes might have been from the days when trapping was legal? I've heard alot of stories about them chewing their leg off to get away.
  I've seen 5or6 tripods in my life, and they were all in city limits where you can't hunt. My thinking is it could possibly happen for reasons other than hunters.Cars, traps, getting them caught in fences, etc. Not all injured/screwed up critters are our fault.  
  Sorry about your calfs. but that sounded like a pretty broad statement without looking at all the possibilities.
   Scott

songdog

Reaction score
Modocer,

Agreed on taking shots that are too long.  While I was trying to sound humble, I actually felt pretty good about taking this shot albeit a long way off.  Even a coyote deserves to be put down quickly and cleanly.

Speaking of three legged coyotes, I've killed two over the past several years.  One had a withered hind leg but it was still all there the other had the entire lower leg missing.  I don't know if it was shot off (not likely) or a trap (more likely) or even born that way but neither one could I tell until I walked up to the dead animal.  Both came in on the run and were as heathly as could be... except for being dead of course :wink-yellow:.

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
That's COOL, Song Dog! :shades-smoke:
I do well to see a coyote at 400 let alone pop one!  Most of my hunting is done in heavy timber. 150 yards is a long shot for me. My shortest shot to date, 10 feet.
Here's to you, :toast-yellow:
ch 1  

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
It don't seem to make much difference, 3 legged or 4 when a coyote gets a chance for an easy meal he will take it.
I have never seen any 3 legged coyotes here but I have seen coyote killed calves.
Just my .02 worth.
ch 1

songdog

Reaction score
After going back and rereading this thread I think I should probably clarify a few things that sometimes don't come across that well via the written word.

Please don't make the mistake of throwing random lead out there hoping to hit something.  I'm by no means doing nor advocating that.  Whatever you're hunting should be put down quickly and cleanly.  

This was a very long shot but I had a good rest and had shot this gun into 3" groups at 400 yards numerous times before.  The coyote was also surrounded by flat open ground for over a half a mile in every direction.  He was standing still and there was no wind.

Nothing worse than someone bragging about how they made some fantastic shot and rubbing in how great they are.  I was trying to be a little humble with my description so as not to come across that way (my eyes were actually open the whole time).  Maybe I should just say, I knew that I could hit him cleanly 9 times out of 10 because I'm a pretty darn good shot and took the shot because I knew that I'd connect.  Honestly, my buddy wasn't that surprised that I got him.  He's seen me do it many times before.  That just sounds a bit braggy so... now I'll go back to humble me :wink-yellow:

So for anyone who is just getting into coyote hunting.  Don't try this unless you're sure that you can connect and put the coyote down.  400 yard shots are few and far between and for the most part, rarely necessary.

(Edited by songdog at 3:36 pm on Nov. 14, 2001)

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
Song Dog, I saw nothing wrong with your origional post. You later said "Maybe I should just say, I knew that I could hit him cleanly 9 times out of 10 because I'm a pretty darn good shot and took the shot because I knew that I'd connect."  
If I miss or wound a coyote at close range it is still missed or wounded, distance makes little difference. Only you know your ability with your rifle, as hunters our ability to execute the kill as well as possible is something we all should be aware of. I commend you on this. Not every hunter can make a 400 yard shot, I have not had enough practice with long range to do so but I also know what every rifle I own can do as well as what I can do with them, as I feel you do also. If I felt I could have made that shot I also would have done so.
Give your self a pat on the back for me, for the good shooting and for being humble about making it.
ch 1

lintongb

Reaction score
I have to agree with coyotehunter.  I think a coyote will take advantage of an easy meal anyday.  Otherwise, why do you think they can be called into a squalling rabbit.  I shot a crippled coyote last month while deer hunting in Utah.  I didn't know he was crippled until I got up to it.  A lot of animals, especially coyotes are pretty resilient.  My dad shot a three legged deer before too.  It's leg had been shot off the year before.  Here is a link to the picture of the coyote.  It is the second picture if you are interested in looking at it.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/li...01Deerhunt.html

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Wish i had a place to practice at that distance,here in Missouri's Ozark hills a 100 yard shot is a long shot,200 yards is a very long shot(no open ground)

22 250

Reaction score
Fubar,

So far I have not had the calling to start reloading.  For the first six or seven years shot exclusive Federal 45 gr Hollow Points.  But the last year or so I have changed to Winchester 40 or 45 gr Supreme Ballistic Silver Tips.   I have tried the 60 gr Partitions, but really like the 40 gr Silver Tips the best.   I have been thinking about approaching Connley Ammunition for some custom 40 gr Silver Tips with maximum loads.   Do you have any recommendations?  

(Edited by 22 250 at 8:36 am on Nov. 18, 2001)

rusman66

Reaction score
My dad ran a trapline here is southern cal for quite a few years and I can honestly say it is very very unlikely that those three legged coyotes were due to trapping. Never found just a leg in a trap. And I watched him set small animals free on several occasions with no damage.  Well not to the animal anyway.  Now I dont know about other states, but maybe this had something to do with fact that the leghold traps had to be padded.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Made a mecry kill Wednesday at outside of Niland with a slug.  Not the farthest shot (60yds) but the mangiest.  That was one nasty coyote.  Looked like a large rat or chinese hairless dog.  Haven't seen one that bad in years.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom