Mentor Wanted Looking for a mentor D15, D11, D13

SkyMasterM

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just got my license and im looking for a mentor. I live in Orange County and im looking for any tips, advice, and possibly a hunting party that I can join for the deer season. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
Decide the general area you want to hunt.
Use Google Earth.
Get OnX Hunt to help you find public land (start with national forests).
Plan out some scouting. Drive up high, then hike far away from the roads to an area where you can see a lot of area and glass (using binoculars and spotting scope to look for deer).
Get to your spot as early as possible, preferably before the sun comes up.
Get out there as much as you can before the season starts.

Example:
D11. Angeles National Forest. Drive up Angeles crest highway (Hwy 2). Pick a hiking trail that looks like it might lead to a hilltop or area where you can glass.

Oso357

Reaction score
If you have zero experience, stay away from D11 and D15. You need a lot of experience, or a ton of money and time. They few people I've met that have success there have either one or the other, or both. 15 to 20 trail cams, placing them, retrieving them, reviewing them, and then having the time to hunt those places. Or like the old man I used to work with, he goes up to ANF every year and gets a buck on his first day, except for last year, got it on his second... But he's been hunting for 40 years.

You learn a lot more going with experienced people instead of on your own. I've met people at the sporting good store buying ammo that have invited me. I've also got some contacts from going to the free advanced hunting clinics offered by the DFW.

blazintowers

Reaction score
scout, scout, scout....I don't use trail cams or have lots of money or time...pick a place close to home so when you do have time you can go scout and explore...if you find no sign move to another canyon or location until you do spot something...I hunt d11 almost ever year and am always looking for new spots and rarely run into other hunters...stay away from crowds cause that's what the deer do too!

Revo2811

Reaction score
Go out early and stay late glass and glass some more. find water like mentioned before onX and google earth. Have you scouted before? Or have an area in mind?

Chayito702

Reaction score
I dont use any trail cams at all. Just like WrstQuailHntr said hike in early am. I have been hunting d11 with my father since I was 8 and once I was able to get my license and learned the ropes I started hunting around 12 or 13 yrs old. I am now 33 and d11 sure does hold big bucks. Put lots of leather in the ground and stay away from main trails.

Top Bottom