Looking for a simple cobbler for grill or dutch oven

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I saw a Sandra Lee episode on the Food Network where she used canned biscuits (already cooked maybe?), and apple pie filling (or was it peach?) in a can. She used a simple spice mixture and dumped it all into a dutch oven and let it simmer over the coals while everyone ate supper.

Belch is ------>

I need something like that for a campfire in a week or so and I can't find the recipe on the Food Network site.

Do you have a simple cobbler recipe for a campfire that doesn't require a lot of attention?

jmabbott888

Reaction score
get a spice cake mix, pour in in gallon bag, in the bag at 1 can of sprite or 7up, mix ingredients. put 1 can of apple pie filling in a foil lined dutch oven (makes for easier cleaning lol). on top of that pour the cake mix/sprite mix on top & put on coals. works great for us with the scouts. you can do the same thing with a chocolate cake mix, cherry soda & cherry pie filling. Do a search for byrons dutch oven on the internet, has many great recipes.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Oh jeez, lemme think.. Used to do a killer peach cobbler in the D.O. with bisquik and canned peaches.

howdy62

Reaction score
Here's two I use all the time. As stated earlier line your oven with foil for easy clean up

Cobbler

Dump filling in first (apple peach cherry etc)

cover with a box of yellow cake mix

Squirt "Squeeze Parkay" on top of cake mix (parkay keeps better on long trips butter can be used if handy) This creates the crunchy top.

Cover with coals and rotate your lid every 10 min or so. Time depends on how hot your coals are. 20 - 40 min

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Mix a can of crushed pineapple, a box of yellow cake mix and a half a can of 7-up (sprite, etc) cover and rotate your lid like the cobbler..

good luck

jmabbott888

Reaction score
If I remember correctly its about 30 minutes with 12 briquets on top, same on bottom in a 12 inch oven. I usually end up bringing everything & the cubmaster from the Wasco pack cooks while I keep the kids entertained lol.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
That's not the one I watched her cook, but it sure sounds good! I'm might have to give that one a try!

As I remember, she used canned biscuits (Whomp biscuits in Clower-speak) but I can't remember if she pre-cooked them or not.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
2 (16-ounce) cans sliced peaches in heavy or light syrup, or in fruit juice, your choice
1 pint fresh blueberries, optional
1/2 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/3 cup sugar
Ground cinnamon

Topping:
2 1/4 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar

Drain 1 can of the peaches. Combine both cans of peaches, including the juice from the undrained can, the blueberries, if using, the baking mix, sugar, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Place this mixture into the Dutch oven.

To make the topping: Combine the biscuit mix, sugar, butter, and milk in a resealable plastic bag. Drop bits of dough, using your fingers, on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Put dutch oven on top of burned down coals or fire, place briquettes or coals on top. Cook until done.

________________________________________________________________________________
______

This is basically the same recipe I used going back to BSA. Haven't done it in years, but it's pretty simple and kills neighboring camps dead with the aroma.

Top Bottom