LOOKING FOR AN UTV. Dont need a screaming RZR for dunes, just something to trail ride & hunt and fish with. Polaris

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
LOOKING TO GET A UTV. I dont need a screaming Razor for the dunes, just something to trail ride and hunt and fish with.

2 or 4 seats?

I like Polaris and this one seems to be what i need but id like to hear if anyone has one and how many seats they have.

Is it worth looking at used ones? What are the must have options? Lighting? Winch? etc

Thanks

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Good luck with your search. I don't own a UTV and have only been in one a couple of times. I own quads because I can carry them in my pickup. I can give you my opinion on brands and options.

I have owned a couple of different Hondas and they are very dependable mechanically. I now ride a Polaris 90% of the time for the quality of the ride and the fact I bought a 2-up and Honda does not offer a 2-up quad. The Polaris is a more "fun" ride but I really don't care much about the extra performance it offers but the salesmen sure push that. I only want a nice smooth ride with enough power to get me where I want to go and the Polaris is very smooth.

For options I always have a winch. I have only used a winch one time in 20 years but I don't like going in steep country without one. I have never felt I needed more lighting because I am not running at high speed at night. Lighting is a very popular option I am just not sure why. I upgraded my tires to ones that were more durable in rocky terrain after I punctured one. Tires for sharp rocks may not be the best tires for soft sand so I guess it depends and where you will use it.

For me I carry a lot of extra gear like a shovel, tow straps, flat repair kit, first aid supplies and misc. other items so I need good storage. I would look at how you can store those extra items if you are going to carry a bunch of stuff like I do. If you buy a Polaris watch a few videos on how to change a belt and carry a spare. I have talked to Polaris owners who have had to change belts in the field. I never have but I think I might be able to and I do have a spare belt in my truck. I figure if I can't get it done myself I at least have the right part when I get somewhere that someone else knows how.

With 2 grandsons starting to hunt I have already started looking at UTVs that can legally carry 4 people and I hate to say it but so far Yamaha is the one that interest me the most and I have never owned a Yamaha. That is based on me looking at Polaris, Honda and Yamaha at the showrooms. Who knows what I will buy if I buy one. If I was only looking at a 2 seater I would probably go Honda. A 2 seater doesn't do me any good since I carry 2 people on my Polaris now without an issue.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
thanks Brnsvllyjohn, i do need to keep an open mind on what to get. I never knew they made a 2-up quad. Looks like a third to half the price of a UTV. The one drawback on a putting a quad in the bed of my truck is i keep a camper shell on but it would fit in a toyhauler.

Thanks

Planetcat

Reaction score
I’m on my second yamaha Wolverine. The viking 3-seater and wolverine 2 and 4 seaters are very reliable and handle a variety of terrains. My buddy put about 4,000 hard hunting miles on his Kawasaki teryx 4 with no issues.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
My son is well over 6' tall and around 230. He rides in quads and UTVs as part of his work every week. He tells me riding on the back of my Polaris is way more comfortable than sitting in a side by side with no leg room and two big guys rubbing shoulders all day. He tells me if I buy a UTV it has to be a certain size for him to be comfortable. I tell him he can walk and his boys can ride with me.

Sawfish

Reaction score
With the expanding size and prices of the latest crop of utility vehicles, I am more convinced than ever to stick with my 40 year old jeep Scrambler. Just about size of some of the larger UTVs, plus it has a roof and a heater to keep you warm and dry. Secure storage for tools and equipment, space for two large sized adults , two large deer, or an elk in the truck bed, and an 8,000 lb. winch. Comfortable on the highway, and easy to repair if necessary. JMHO.

dustin ray

Reaction score
heres my latest ride i also have a single cab this one has AC Heater GPS radio kikout front window goes about anywhere downside one all UTV with windows are dust problems i have fixed 99% of the holes the other problem iv ran into if you run it hard in deep snow and mud the fan can get plugged and freeze up besides that we run then hard and fast on rough terrain and its better then beating the crap out of your truck

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.29.02 PM.png

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
heres my latest ride i also have a single cab this one has AC Heater GPS radio kikout front window goes about anywhere downside one all UTV with windows are dust problems i have fixed 99% of the holes the other problem iv ran into if you run it hard in deep snow and mud the fan can get plugged and freeze up besides that we run then hard and fast on rough terrain and its better then beating the crap out of your truck

View attachment 77899
I like the idea of AC and heater and enclosed dustin. Now i need to check on how tall and wide them rangers are. Hows the motor noise inside? thx

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
With the expanding size and prices of the latest crop of utility vehicles, I am more convinced than ever to stick with my 40 year old jeep Scrambler. Just about size of some of the larger UTVs, plus it has a roof and a heater to keep you warm and dry. Secure storage for tools and equipment, space for two large sized adults , two large deer, or an elk in the truck bed, and an 8,000 lb. winch. Comfortable on the highway, and easy to repair if necessary. JMHO.
Yeah im considering a jeep also. What would a decent jeep run? Any certain years to look for? Thx

Top Bottom