looking for bears to fill the wifes tag...

jware26

Reaction score
So last monday after the rifle opener in D-8 the wife and I went back up to where I got my bear during archery season. During archery season we saw ALOT of animals, so we figured we would give it a shot. we were still hunting with our bows as neither of us has done much rifle hunting. The elevation was probably around 9000 feet. there was a light dusting of snow on the ground and everything was frozen from some rain the night before. We saw nothing, some old sign, not even a doe. The berries the bears had been feeding on were all dead now. I know that being rifle season now we were gunna see less animals, but I started to wonder, if the berries are dead, where do the bears go now and what do they eat. I have gotten mixed answers about california bears hibernating. I know bears will eat acorns but do not know of any in the area. I also live in D-14 and do hunt the area. Have not really found a good bear area. I know they are around, but most of them are very nocturnal. Anyway, what do you guys think? Would really like to help my wife fill that bear tag, any info at all from you guys would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Hope everyone's seasons are going well and shoot straight boys!

jsg2000

Reaction score
wifes bear tag

To answer your question about where are the bears. We all know they go where the food source is, this so called "drought" had affects on where all of the animals go. But weather is also another main factor to take into consideration. I have heard stories of bears being as high as 8k or 9k feet this season. I have not seen this for myself but i have personally seen signs of them being around the 3k to 6k foot levels this season. My personal opinion is that every bear is different they all have their own preference. Its all about finding out what area they are in and then figuring out what their pattern are. In my own opinion.

vogel002

Reaction score
I am in a similar boat, i saw sign (prints) at 8.5k but could not figure out what they were eating. all the berries were gone and the scat was old and full of grasses plus the acorns were nonexistent. hopefully if i hunt long and hard enough i can figure out the riddle. My biggest question is what they're eating when the berries and acorns are gone.. DFG Bear?

Wild1

Reaction score
Bears are world-class scavengers, they'll eat just about anything, including insects, other animals, carrion, plants, and garbage. It's not all about berries and acorns (although they love 'em). I'm no expert, but I do hunt a lot, and bears are a tough hunt. I use a lot of trail cameras to help me locate them and even when I get 'em on camera, it's difficult to catch up with them - not to mention them being nocturnal also. Good luck to all of you!

Top Bottom