Looking for Deer in Kern County Ca, Bakersfield

code3punk

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
My names Joe, I have been living in Cali for a few years, Before then I lived in Texas, this is the first time in 3 years I am goning to attempt a hunt, and being as I have no idea how all of this california stuff works, I am seeking a lil help,

I live near Bakersfield, and am looking fo decent public land to hunt Deer/ Hogs, I dont have alot of money, so guided is out of the question, I would just reallly appricate it if any one could give me an idea where to go within 1 1/2 to 2 hours from bakersfield, what to look for , how to get there and any other details that might help me out Thanks a bunch

Or even if anyone from the area wants to get together and go hunting of fishing I am always open to new friends

The Artist In The Ambulance

gc4279

Reaction score
code3punk,
Since you live in Bakersfeild I would suggest D8. I know tags are still available and it's close enough to scout anytime you have a free afternoon. Take Hwy178 to Ranchereita road. Ranchereita will have deer areas all along it once you go past the private property. Most people hunt from a little south of Basket Pass on northward. With that in mind I would suggest taking Hwy178 to Lake Isabella/Wofford Heights to Hwy155 up to Greenhorn Summit and scout out from there. Get a Forest Service map of the area and make yourself familiar with the area. Finding deer should be no problem. Legal bucks will be a whole nother thing the area has a lot of pressure and you'll have to work for them.
Good luck,
Gary C.

code3punk

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I will definatly check that area out, Like I said I am rather new to california hunting, My grandpa and brother in ;law were the only nfluances I had and only for 1 year just enough to get it into my blood, so I am 22 years old now, aand I am very thankful for any help from the veterans of the sport, .... It was so much easier in central texas to go on a friends land ask to hunt and just go out and kill a nice buck, I guess I was very lucky in that respect that my first buck was a boone and crockett 118 inch , but alas it all differemt here , so once again thianks for the tips and keep them comming in !

THE ARTIST IN THE AMBULANCR

prohunter

Reaction score
code3punk, welcome to JHO. Does your "Art" mean the work you do on your patience? Are you a paramedic? Just curious.

code3punk

Reaction score
Prohunter
I am a EMT, currently, attemping the jump to paramedic school, hoping one day to make it to getting my Firefighter 1 and being a firemedic, , I do think the work that people in EMS do, Sometime could be construde as ART, Depends on the situation, The term came from a song that my friend emailed me, ....

And wow you have quite a few nice bucks on your page do you hunt public lands? I would love to be able to get a buck this year, but it seems like its a whole LOTTA work here, I am willing and able to do it, I am planning on going out and scouting a lil before season starts, so if you have any suggestions throw them at me, Like anyone else I just want to get the best chance I can,
..... Thanks for the post Joe Aka The Artist in the ambulance

P.s what do you farm, (my wife dad farms almonds in mcfarland) Just curious....

Norcalihunter

Reaction score
I've never hunted deer anywhere near backersfield but if its anything like northern ca just be ready to work for your first deer in the area, next year put in for the a lot of special draw hunts CA has some great ones after a few years your bond to get drawn gotta plan for the future.

Dont reily on that tho. It'll all be worth it once you score but it aint easy to get started out in a new area. Do a lot of scouting, I'd get some maps and see how far in looks way to far to hike and then go there.

Thats what I'll be doing this year. I get a map of the public lands look where I never want to go and look where it seems like the furthest from the main roads and see where I never want to hike then go I'll go there.

Good luck!

code3punk

Reaction score
Thanks norcali and good luck on that big ole buck up there in north state.....

prohunter

Reaction score
code3punk, the advice gc4279 is good advice. you need to do the rest. lots of scouting & get off the road. 99% of my deer were on public ground in D-8. I put alot of time in the field. you need to put alot of time to better your odds.
we farm oranges. we have alot of oranges in the mcfarland-famaso area.

i am also a county firefighter (TCFD) & work seasonal for CDF. I did work part time last year for a local ambulance company (imperial) as an EMT.
good luck

code3punk

Reaction score
thanks for the info pro, Do you know the Shick bros, Gary and Clinton, , I work at Kern and Delano ambulance right now, I will be doing some scouting of the area that he suggested next weekend thanks for the info

code3punk

Reaction score
lol in fact I convivcned my wife we should go for a "drive" this afternoon up to the greenhorn summit christian camp, "just to look around

code3punk

Reaction score
I ended up down at the alder creek campground from a locals suggestion, but i was quite disapointed, i liked the rancharita road area though

gc4279

Reaction score
code3punk,
Glad to hear you got a chance to get in the woods. Any time spent in the pines is better than than the city. A lot of people like the Alder creek area. I've never cared much for it either tho. I think it's better later in the season after some weather. I would suggest staying up high near the top of the mountains. Almost every canyon has a spring or cow trough of some kind so water is'nt that much of an issue. If you decide to get a D8 tag send me an E-mail next month. I'll be up there a couple times during archery season and maybe one afternoon you can come up and I'll pencil in a few suggestions on your map.
Gary C.

Steve K

Reaction score
code3punk
Do a search of this web site on D8, there was a post on just what you are asking a few week ago. I made a reply to it about Dome Rock you might want to read.
I am going to scout a few more area there in august, during the week (to hell with week-inn) if your interested.
There is a lot of information on this web site if you take the time to play around with it.
Good luck maybe will see you up there, allway good for a beer.
Steve K.
Oh, theres a few Bears there to you might think about.

jmartinez74

Reaction score
code3punk,
I also took a bear in d8 last season and can tell you that there
are good bucks in the area. I'm sure they are nothing compared
to the bucks you are used to in TX, but a buck bagged is a buck
bagged nonetheless. Try the Golden Trout Wilderness Area, lots of
bears there.

code3punk

Reaction score
HEy guys thanks for so much awesome info, and thanks to the guys that have made offers to help me out personally, I am only home 2 days a week so bear with me I will get back to ya'll eventually, any suggestions on camo patterns for the area i already have some mossy oak break up and some mossy oak treestand thanks again JOE

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
GC4279
Is this the Gary that usually camps near Frog Meadow at Greenhorn? Red truck and camper on it.
To others:
That whole area (Greenhorn Pass) is a fairly decent area for bowseason, gets alot of pressure during firearms.

Orygun

Reaction score
Unless your really confident, don't want to shoot a tiny forked horm, or are a masochist, take the first legal buck you see. If you have scouted an area well and have seen lots of bucks, you can probably count on seeing a few more. That first buck (on non-wilderness public land) you see may be the only buck you see all season. Outside of the X zones, most zones have more then 8 out of 10 guys eating tag soup at the end of the season.

seeryfly

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Orygun....... hunted D8 real hard last year with no luck. Spent most of my time in the Golden Trout area and then some up in the Jennie lakes area. Only saw two deer the entire season. Those were on the next to last day of the season down in Golden Trout area. Saw tons of bear and cat sign in the Golden Trout area. Watch your back out there! ...... I have a D7 tag right now and am thinking about getting a D8 tag to do some bow hunting. Any tips on good loctions. This is my first experience hunting muleys with a bow. How do you guys do it here. I have only hunted whitetails with a bow.

prohunter

Reaction score
You'll see more deer in D-7 esp. bow season. Try around wishon area.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom