Looking for horses to Rent

Vinceh

Reaction score
Trying to find out information on Horses for a pack hunt we will be making later in Oct in the D6 area. I believe we will be leavig out of Kennedy Meadows. Any information would greatly be appreciated. We need 2 - 4 horses.

Thx

Vince

map

Reaction score
Trying to find out information on Horses for a pack hunt we will be making later in Oct in the D6 area. I believe we will be leavig out of Kennedy Meadows. Any information would greatly be appreciated. We need 2 - 4 horses.

Thx

Vince
Vince,

Those are Mule Deer with mostly Rocky Mountain blood lines. There is a very discouraging looking sign at the Kennedy Meadows corral that says no guns allowed, so make sure you have arrangements for a Specialized Hunting Trip. My boy and I thought that we could hitch a ride on the horses that were taking people out to Kennedy Lake. Last season I seen small herds of trophy bucks up on St Marys pass in Iceberg. That place is up at 10,000 feet along the Sierra Crest. I drew X 12 this year, but I put in for D 6 on my second tag, because with the buildup in Afghanistan the Marine Camp will be in full swing. That will push the big bucks over to the D 6 side of the Crest.

There is a parking problem along 108 from Kennedy Meadows all the way up to the summit, so don't expect to pull off and park on opening weekend.

Vinceh

Reaction score
Richard-

Am I to understand that we can't carry any rifles through the Kennedy Meadows area? We have been scouting out an area over 14 miles from there and we know we can make the hike, however, horses would be nice to get in and also help carry our game out, while we hike.

I know that there are horses you can rent up there but I believe you have to take a guide. We definately don't need that. Let me know if you hear anything.

Good luck in X-12!!! Last year got a nice 4 x 4 with a 30" spread Big mass. They got'em up there if you know where to go. I am jealous. Gotta get my group together next year with enough points to get back up there.

Vince

map

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the sign said no rifles on the trail. I will be up there withing a few weeks, so I will read the sign again. I get along with the owners, and they let me park my camper in the parking lot over night. I front of the saloon. There is a pack train near the summit that goes up to St Mary's pass, and during the last week of the season, the deer came running down from there right in front of me. The pack guides have quite a few options, but like renting a horse for a couple of days by yourself doesn't seem likely.

They usually say that they don't know anything about hunting, just horses.

Top Bottom