Looking for land to hunt off I-80 between SF and Truckee

Big Bubba Daddy

Reaction score
Hi all, if you were going to join the JHP hunt in Los Podres this last weekend and decided to take a pass, you missed a great time and some nice folks.

I am headed up to Truckee this coming weekend and was hoping to spend Friday in the field.  I will be headed up I-80 and if anyone can give me an idea of where to go I would be very thankful.  Mind you I don't expect you to give up your favorit spots or anything :wink-yellow: but I was hoping someone to clue me into an area that has some reasonable chance of success.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

Rattler

Reaction score
Hey,
      Here's the text from Wmidbrook's post on NCal spots...it's off I-80:

Auburn Rec Area
Take the Auburn Ravine exit off of I-80 at the East end of Auburn.  Go past the first Lake Clementine entrance.  You'll just pass the second entrance/exit that goes to the back of lake Clementine.  Notice the parking lot to your right on the ridgeline.  I never parked there.  I always would go up about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile and park to the left.  There is a trail on the East side of that ridge.  Drop off the ridge onto the mini ridgelines or hike off the trail about a 1/4 mile after you hear a gobbler.  After 8 am., there are sometimes mt bikers on that trail so bear that in mind.  The hunting is better if you get into the woods anyway.  I've seen idiots set up on that trail a couple of times.

I'll take the "assist" on this one, but WMB gets the goal.  Good Luck

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
That is a good place to hunt. By now the birds will be silent after hitting the ground( alot of pressure there on the weekends).

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Hey Drakeslayer my mom was telling me about a restaurant up in Loomis that serves wild game called The Horseshoe, or something like that, have you ever heard of it or been there?

Brian

Big Bubba Daddy

Reaction score
Thanks all for the help, a special thanks to Drake Slayer.  unfortunatly I couldn't make it out of the city early enought to get in the field today, but I have all Tuesday and I plan on haveing a great day!

Thanks again and keep the advice coming...

shaginator

Reaction score
Hey Big Bubba...

Sorry I didn't catch your posting earlier.

Though I have never turkey hunted nor have I explored that area personally, I remember some people here talking about Spenceville WA, which is just west of Grass Valley and north of I-80. It might be a bit out of the way but I thought I'd throw that in.

In any event, let us know how it goes if you do get a chance to hunt. I'm still trying to learn all I can about these gobblers and plan to head out at least once no matter what (whether by myself or an experienced hunter, doesn't matter to me. I feel I just gotta do it!).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom