Looking for old timer

Rob P.

Reaction score
I'm 48 this year and I've decided that THIS YEAR is the year I'm going to learn how to hunt. I have had a license in the past but never used it because I couldn't find anyone to teach me the tricks of the trail.

So, this year I'm going to learn. Somehow.

Does anyone want a pre-season scouting partner? Someone who is willing to show a noob what is what? Deer, hogs, whatever, it's all ok. I'm fairly fit (bicyclist) and I have all the backpack/camp gear I need if necessary for overnights. No camo stuff though.

I can base from either Ventura or Bakersfield although I don't know ANYTHNG about the sierras or Kern County. I do have a pretty decent knowledge of southern Los Padres NF from backpacking in there in my youth but still don't know where to go etc for hunting.

I'm not anticipating shooting this year (retired my current rifle - WTB .270 Savage) so my shooting safety or ability shouldn't be a concern to anyone. I just need to learn so that next year I will be getting tags/license and can start right.

Anyone?

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
Rob P, welcome to Jesses. You have come to the right spot for help. I am to far south but there are a lot of JHO's in your area which should.

good luck..

r

bobcatman04

Reaction score
Like most of the new members here you have'nt filled out any of your profile info. I'm recommending that you do that. It's kind of an introduction and people are more like to be more friendly. There are so many crack-pots that are really annoying, and just pop in to stir the pot. Sorry, welco0me and good luck.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
bobcatman04 im with you bud! I think it should be a requirement to have that filled in

EvBouret

Reaction score
My recommend just getting out there. Pack a bag and dissapear for the day. All the knowledge will come with experience. You can still practice stalks and spotting them in the off season when it'll be a bit easier. I used to go practice my stalking on the deer in Poly Canyon. I got close enough to hear them breathing more than a few times.

bobcatman04

Reaction score
Hey Rob, welcome. You sound very eager, you'll have no problem hooking up. get out and practice at the local range, and mingle. lots of people in the know there. Go to functions that promote hunting. etc. You've got all year, in the meen time scout, scout, scout. Go scouting with friend to help out if the going gets rough, you are 48,
I'm 55 so I know. good luck........Bobcat

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Good luck, Rob

I'm too far away to be much help, but there are some good fellas down in your neck of the woods.

I sort-of agree with Ev's comment... if you can't find someone to hook up with, then get out there by yourself and learn by doing. It's not ideal, since it's definitely best to find a mentor and learn from someone else, but you won't learn anything by staying home until that mentor shows up.

Also, dunno how your funds work out, but if you can afford it, get out and hunt with a guide. Just be honest from the outset about your experience level, and let him (or her) know that you want to learn...not just go kill something.

Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom