Looking for some rod advice

solus

Reaction score
I just bought an avet hxw 2 speed raptor on 100# braid and 80# flourocarbon leader. Im broke now and im looking for a good rod to pair this up with. Im looking for an 80-100# rod class without rollers. Any idea wherr i can find a decent one under $200? Ive been searching but no luck on craigslist and other sights. Located in the inlanf empire if that helps. Gonna be fishing the big blue fin tuna.

Farallon

Reaction score
No ideas on where,to get that rod for under $200.

Somethings to consider. Fiberglas is easier on ones back. One can pull harder with graphite. A rods rating is based on pounds of drag. A true 80-100lb rod needs 20-30 lbs of drag. Can you fish standup with 25-28lbs of drag? Do you fish the rail or use a harness? Usual recommendation is rollers for everything above 50.

Last edited:

Farallon

Reaction score
I looked through some catalogs, there are not many rods in that class with ring guides. I saw one, and it had a roller tip.

solus

Reaction score
Ive seen a few non-roller rods. Im gonna get a hsrness cause there is no way im gonna survive if i get a 100lbs+ tuna. Usuallly the boats im on dont have a chair to fight the fish.

Farallon

Reaction score
I think all of the Sandy Eggo boats will have loaner/rental rods. If not the boat, perhaps the landing. Don't let the lack of a rod prevent you from going. Good luck out there!

solus

Reaction score
Ill find one. One way or another lol. I have a set up for yellows but not one for big blues yet. Well no rod yet lol

solus

Reaction score
20170810_124147.jpg this is my avet hxw raptor. Sorry it flipped over when i was taking the picture lol

Top Bottom