Looking for those who have hunted moose British Columbia, Canada

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Looking at fall (rut) moose and am uncertain what to wear. The locals all say wool but my gear is all synthetic. Temps vary from 20s to 60s. Anyone here been to BC in Sep? Tips for apparel? I prefer to layer when working hard and merino is not light. At least, not compared to my Optifade clothing. But Sitka Gear may be insufficient for a 10 day bowhunt. Anyone gotta Farmer's Almanac that can tell me what the area might have forecast for Sep 21st this year and next?

Last edited:

JohnCo

Reaction score
I've fished in BC a number of times in August-Sept. The weather can vary quite a bit depending where exactly in BC you're going. What's the elevation where you're going to be?

For me the #1 thing is to stay dry. Gloves, raingear, boots, etc. I don't see why synthetics wouldn't work just fine for hunting.

Moskinyca

Reaction score
I have been heading up there to hunt with my father in-law for the past 6 years near Prince George usually around the end of Sept to the first couple weeks of Oct. I wear base layer just regular old-Walmart long johns, with second layer of tee shirt/hunt paints and third layer bib overalls and heavy jacket when riding on the quads. Depending on how cold it gets sometimes a nice warm vest included and fleece pull over paints. I have a whole set of hunting gear up there at his place just for that trip. It is also a good idea to have a good set of rain gear we have hunted more days in rain than sunny weather a couple of trips it rained every day.

Some pics to give you an idea what it looks like in that area

me.jpgSnap2.jpg

Moskinyca

Reaction score
Some more pics's if you go hope you have a good trip, my father in-law has not gotten any bull draws for the areas we hunt (since I’ve started hanging out) so we usually have to attempt to fine the small one's "calf’s" of immature bulls "mystery moose we call them" This picture of me was a full wet day riding on the quads to find new areas. More wet than cold! But it does not always rain last year was a pretty dry year and we hunted a new area with a larger group out of 7 tags; two with cow draws they took 2 moose (both cows); no one had a bull draw and of course we seen them. On the last day just before dark they dropped the second cow after this other guy shot its calf. There was a bull hanging out with them that would not leave it was an hair raising experience trying to get those two animals out of there with that bull hanging around in the dark.

Snap3.jpgSnap6.jpgSnap7.jpgSnap4.jpgSnap5.jpg

Reaction score
Kind of a tough question asthere are lots of variables here. Sept 10 1973 I was out on a snowmobile hunting elk. snow did dissapear and we had a great fall season. Never knew what camo or special clothes were in those days. Sept 12 2010 plus 30 celcius my elk hunt was over with in 1 hour of leaving home. I also had full camo but nothing special. I live and hunt at about 4500 feet and definatly higher. Nights and early mornings can be cold. This is a very big province so really hard to give advice. Montana hunters face exactly the same challenges we do so just pretend your going to the Grand Tetons--Yellowstone and gear up for those conditions. Mickey

Reaction score
Kind of a tough question asthere are lots of variables here.  Sept 10 1973 I was out on a snowmobile hunting elk. snow did dissapear and we had a great fall season.  Never knew what camo or special clothes were in those days. Sept 12 2010 plus 30 celcius my elk hunt was over with in 1 hour of leaving home. I also had full camo but nothing special. I live and hunt at about 4500 feet and definatly higher. Nights and early mornings can be cold. This is a very big province so really hard to give advice. Montana hunters face exactly the same challenges we do so just pretend your going to the Grand Tetons--Yellowstone and gear up for those conditions; Mickey

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Just a couple suggestions Bruce that will really help people find your posts. We have a lot of forums, all with specific topics. A moose hunting thread for BC would work a lot better in the the Moose hunting forum compared to the horse packing forum.

Also, including "moose" in the thread topic will really help not only the members here find your thread but also the search engines which could pull in someone who can answer your questions.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Just a couple suggestions Bruce that will really help people find your posts. We have a lot of forums, all with specific topics. A moose hunting thread for BC would work a lot better in the the Moose hunting forum compared to the horse packing forum.

Also, including "moose" in the thread topic will really help not only the members here find your thread but also the search engines which could pull in someone who can answer your questions.
I thought about that Jesse and ultimately (at least in my mind) reasoned that since this was a horse packing trip I might get more eyes (and experience) on this board...especially since a lot more horse trips are taken in the rugged cold north. And since the issue is more about appropriate attire rather than "moose hunting" it seemed logical to use this board. I have never hunted on horseback but am told we will ride for a few hours before tying up the horses and proceeding in foot. So I gotta stay toasty while riding, hiking and sitting still glassing and waiting for a bull to come to the call. The biggest issue seems to be the 50lb max baggage for the small plane ride so I can't just pack everything. My pack alone is half that. It seems I will hafta wait until the week before to have a clue how to pack for this trip.

Moskinyca

Reaction score
If you give some details about the region you’ll be in I can ask my father in-law and some of his hunting buddies. The different regions can be found at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/ if you do not have this already. The 50lb limit is a bummer does that include what you are wearing I'm gussing not may end up being a hot ride; anyways I hope you enjoy your trip.Sounds like youll be heading way up north.

Reaction score
Yikes I would have a tough time with the 50 lb limit. My normal everyday pack that goes everywhere evryday Im hunting is about 30 lbs. Sounds as though you must be heading into northern BC and staying in an estabilished camp (my guess). Give us a bit more info and someone will get you better answers. Where I am at we have had over a foot of snow in the last 30-36 hours and a 100 miles away there is no snow on the ground so just another example of our different weather because of elevation. I am curious as to what happens when you get your moose, will a bigger plane be picking you up? Northern moose hunt is something I would like to challenge sometime soon. Mickey

Moskinyca

Reaction score
Looks like they are in the Caribou Region MU5-4; the weather there should be similar to the area we hunt about 250miles further north.

Did they give you details on how the license and tag worked? I will ask my father in-law if he knows of any good outfitters, he has some friends that use them sometimes; and he is in a bussiness that supplies areas that are out away from civilization with fuel.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Yeah...they also provide the paperwork for crossing the border with weapons and game meat. With this other outfitter I can skip the puddlehopper. These guys don't change their rate based on the size and sex of the moose...the other outfit wanted "trophy fees" (which nearly double costs) which I am told is unnecessary under the quotas Canada imposes. Waiting to see if they can squeeze me in this year...their 2013 season is already sold out.

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
So because of the lousy weather I opted out of a moose hunt this year and went for elk instead. Now I am looking at the Yukon area and am amazed! The more outfitters I talk to, the more is seems like buying complex insurance. This guy says ya gotta leave everything but the rack and backstraps behind for the locals...this guy says you can take the meat but there's only one guy who will process it and ship it to ya after aging, another guy says do-it-yourself but you'll be overweight on the plane and can't take it anyway. Another guys says all racks must be split, others say it's okay to keep the skull intact for a euro mount. One guy wants $19K for bull moose hunt, the next is $9K. Then of course we can always add trophy fees if you decide to shoot a bear, wolf, caribou or goat. Those prices are all over the board too! I've been quoted combo hunts from $14K to $31K for the same animals. Accommodations were comparable, time and length of trip too. Even the hopper flights are priced radically different...I just know there are big kickbacks here. I know it's not supposed to be cheap but holy buckets! A five figure spread?!!! WTPH?! And these aren't even the "celebrity" outfitters like Jim Shockey either! Certainly expected more uniformity in cost than what I'm hearing. Yikes! I will have spoken to every outfitter in the northwest territory before I'm though. Jeeez!

Projections for a long and bitter cold winter this year...any idea what impact this will have on the 2013 season? 2012 sucked because it was so dry.

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Well after being referred to the Bowbunting Safari Consultants and speaking to one of the partners, the whole issue is much clearer to me now. Apparently the pricing difference varies from outfitter to outfitter because of two key factors.
1. Operating costs: number of horses, guides, boats, accommodations etc.
2. Concession costs: some outfitters pay five and six figures in concessions but others (especially as you head north) that offer a greater variety of game hunts pay over a million bucks annually for their concessions and therein lies the biggest factor. After an hour on the phone it became very clear that before booking a big game bowhunt for massive game I would defer to http://www.bowhuntingsafari.com for guidance. They will explain in tremendous detail everything you want/need to know about the area and species and outfitters that specialize in archery hunts there. So now I grasp why the pricing varies and the limitations some outfitters have. This is a bookmark worthy link for any destination hunter and especially for you that have disabilities or suffer any physical limitations (like age) and want to book with an outfit that can accommodate you. In my case the option to hunt via horseback and/or by boat (in case I injure my back) is helpful. Since this will likely be a once in a lifetime hunt for me, I want to maximize my chances for a successful hunt, book with a reliable and ethical operator and know they can adapt to meet my personal wants and needs. I view such trips as a destination vacation where hopefully I can kill some game but more importantly, I want to thoroughly enjoy myself. Nothing worse than hiring a bad guide and spending a week or two with an outfitter that sucks and doesn't know what they're doing...or doesn't bow hunt and/or appreciate the singular challenge it represents. I wanna hunt with a guy who is a serious bowhunter and understands the addiction. Guess I better work a little harder, smarter and longer...it ain't cheap. yikes[1].gif

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I had seriously considered hunting BC this year but the drought conditions changed my plans. That moose hunt is a heartbreaker thus far....especially the bone shot. Can't wait to read how it ends. They sure worked for it!

Top Bottom