Los Angeles County Shooting Zone map?

dazco

Reaction score
I found a Los Angeles County Shooting Zone map on this site, but it's from 1994, and of course probably VERY obsolete by now. Is there a current one anywhere online? also, anyone know of an area near palmdale where i can varmint hunt, IE:crows, groundsquirrels?

Thanks,-Dale

JForgy

Reaction score
The 1994 Los Angeles County Firearms Closure Areas Map, that Jesse has online is the latest version.  It also shows some roads that aren't shown on the Angeles Forest Map. I haven't heard when they will publish a new map for LA County.  These maps are kind of hard to come by.

dazco

Reaction score
Thanks. i wish i could find a map like this that was more detailed and readable tho. Guess thats asking a lot from the DFG. They make it so hard to know where you can shoot !!! i've spent hours online just trying to figure out what exact areas i can go for crows without being cited or booted out by a ranger or cop.
Tomorrows weather looks to be decent so i'm gonna head out and just play it by ear. Crows are probably the easiest game to find, so i guess i'll just hunt where i can find them as long as it seems to be roughly in an area thats designated for shotguns on the map. Having just gotten my new shotgun 2 days ago, i'm desperatly itching to get out and try it.

Thanks again,-Dale

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Dale-
  Check your local LA Sheriff's Office for a map. The one up here(Lancaster) doesn't have any to give, but they have an address to send for one($3 I think)
Check your local gunshops....the one up here also sells them. The full sized maps are easy to read and leave little doubt as to what is legal.
  As to varmints....I haven't seen too many ground squirrels out yet, and I don't know the difference between crows and ravens, but have always been told that the majority of the birds up here are ravens which are protected. Why I don't know....they're coyotes with wings as far as I'm concerned. Good luck.........Scott

dazco

Reaction score
Guess i'll try and find one, but i just noticed something about that map. I think it is obsolete because it shows 3 areas open to target shooting in the angeles national forest, and those have been closed for years. There are NO shooting areas at all in the ANF anymore, so at least in that respect the map is obsolete. There must be a new one because they wouldn't print and distribute a map that shows allowable shooting areas where there are none anymore.

-Dale

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Trust me.
   1994 is the most current map there is. If you get the address from the Sheriff station and send your $3 to the Fish and Game Commission they will send you a 1994 map. I just got mine 3 weeks ago. They don't revise the map unless there is a sigificant boundary or city limit change.I doubt the closure of legal shooting areas is enough reason to justify the cost of printing a new map. Remember... this is government we're dealing with.
  If you need the address let me know and I'll dig it up and post it for you.            Scott
P.S. The Sheriff station up here has the 1994 map posted on their wall...it's what they use for enforcement.

(Edited by grtwythunter at 9:14 am on Feb. 16, 2002)

dazco

Reaction score
I believe you. That just goes to show you how screwed up the govt is. They'll probably arrest you for shooting in an area the map shows as a shooting zone even tho it's closed just because they don't want to revise the map. Shooters just don't get any respect !! (in my best Rodney Dangerfeild voice)
Thanks for the help grtwythunter.

-Dale

Top Bottom