Lost a cam :(

davered1

Reaction score
Well it happened here,in a town that has less than 7,000 people.Went to check cams this mornimng and guess what!Someone stole one of my cams.Cam was on private propety to.It looks like they used an axe to beat the chain and lock off.

I have lived here for 25 years.This was a nice qiet town till 3 years ago,then a SKI HILL was developed.Used to never lock house or car.Now,always do.

Guess it graduated to the bush

sad day...........

davered1

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Man im sorry to hear that Davered,if they find it then go home and come back its a goner im sure,there is scum everywhere,i move mine every time i check it maybe this will work maybe not.
 During this time of year im thinking its the worst time to have them out,people walking the woods acting like big game hunters,they will steal anything,temptation sometimes turns an honest person into a bad person.maybe this person will make a mistake and hang it out and you will find it,then you can take it back,im sure you will recognize it if you see it.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm terrified everytime I go check mine, been lucky so far tho.

Someone posted a while  back that he includes a note in all his cams that goes something like this:

Attention:

If you stole this Camera then you better put it back!  

Other cameras in the area probably took your picture.  
The value of this unit will exceed the
"Stealing Over $150.00" classification and the
Penalty established by Law will be a
FELONY CONVICTION.......

Attention:

I like the idea and now include this note in all mine too

Tinhorn

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
On my ammo can camera I used a Sharpie marker and wrote on the top "Please do not destroy/steal.  I can show you how to make one yourself. Contact...email address"

I don't think anyone has come across it yet though.

Todd

bigmandude

Reaction score
how bout put this on one,,

ATTENTION:

"THOU SHALT NOT STEAL"

- GOD-

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I like the note idea too,also was going to stop down at Merimac Springs park and see about a MDC sticker,doubt they would let me have any though.
 I thought about taking a picture of a note and myself for the film developer telling him that if it was not the person he sees in the picture that the cam was stolen and to please call the police and me(adding my phone #) immedietly.
 Doubt that would work but you never know,criminals get nailed by camera everyday.

gizz

Reaction score
DaveRed,
I have a very good idea for you. Since the town is small I'm assuming that there are only a few places that develop film. If you can contact these places and offer them a reward - say $25 or $50 - if they notice the pics from a trailcam. Take them some of yours as samples and ask them to call you and give the name of the person so "YOU CAN CONTACT HIM/HER AND DISCUSS YOUR TRAILCAM IDEAS".

Illegal? who knows, but it's worth a try if there are few developing places around.

Stickbow

Reaction score
Man, I know JUST how you feel!  8^ (

I also just lost a camera a few days ago. In the ONE place I never figured it would happen and the ONLY place I don't cable/lock it. (That was my mistake, I guess...sure as hell won't happen again)

I had already pulled all my other cams from their various spots due to an increase in activity in the woods, with the bow season here opening up next week. Since this place was REALLY private, I figured I'd leave it out awhile longer and it would be safe.

The people who owned the property called the police and reported the trespass/theft, because since they live in such an out-of-the-way location and aren't young kids anymore, they are now concerned about the safety of their property AND themselves. I feel worse about that than losing the cam!

They were enjoying seeing the pics as much as me, and even tried to pay me for my loss (which I wouldn't accept). It certainly wasn't THEIR fault!

The lady of the house did have a good point though, if someone was hunting/trespassing on their property and tripped the cam when they passed it, they may have been afraid NOT to leave it, knowing the evidence of their presence was now on film.

Could be....but I feel sorry for the low-life s.o.b. if I find out who it is, no matter "why" they took it!

No, I'm NOT a happy "home-brewer" today!!

glen71

Reaction score
It might help if you have your name and driver's license number clearly embossed or engraved on the outside of both the enclosure and camera. At least it will make it more difficult for the thief to sell them.

davered1

Reaction score
Gizz,

I have already went and seen the 2 places in town that develop in 1 hour(the rest of the places mail out their film for development).Because it is such a small town I know both of them personally and let them know if any other pics come in that look like mine they should phone me and let me know who had film developed.The only GOOD distinguishing characteristic of the camera was that the camera was starting to have pretty bad flash wash(easy to see),which I was going to fix this time. They both said they would let me know.

thanks for everyones ideas,I will put a few of them to use now

davered1

Possum

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.  If he beat it off with an axe, I bet he's been in there plenty of times before.  I have found it is usually someone quite close.  Just my experience.  Hope you can find the culprit or gain some sort of satisfaction.

deadcell

Reaction score
Beat it off with a axe you say?  Well let's look at this like a crime scene and break it down into variables. 1) The person who did this is probably someone you know. 2) They are outdoors alot-hence the axe they have with them at all times, How many average people carry an axe with them big enough to cut a chain?? 3)I would try to find out if anybody on neighboring property has been letting anybody new hunt on their land, and if they still are try to find their truck parked somewhere and see if you can see an axe somewhere in the truck. It will be easy to spot with the big nicks in the blade end they used on the chain!! 4) Lastly and this is a big IF, suppose the person who took it is not a hunter or even an outdoorsman for that matter and they took the camera simply for monitary gain and didn't plan on using for its intended purpose. Try to find the closest road to where you had the camera thats not on the private property, chances are when they got it to their vehicle they busted it open took out the camera and then pitched the leftovers in the nearest ditch, so maybe part of your gamecam could still be out there somewhere. maybe, maybe not. I hope you find out who did it. If there is anything i hate worse than a liar its a thief!! Thanks DC

(Edited by deadcell at 8:22 pm on Oct. 11, 2001)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Something tells me you'll run across it again.

The one thing that prevented me from buying a camtrakker type cam was the price. I cannot imagine someone walking off with my $300-$400 camera.

Not that I think I got my monies worth out of my homebrews yet but I have told myself that one of these days I may go to pick one up and it'll be gone...

It's like thier taking of piece of you......

Drayton

Reaction score
Sorry about your loss. I place mine in an area that has a high risk of theft and I only leave it out a few days at a time. But I guess sooner or later, my cam will walk off.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I worry about the same thing, even though I use it on "private property"..people don't give a crap about the posted signs, or asking permission. I move my camera every few days (sucks because of constant disturbance in my area with scent, etc.etc.) A person that will knowingly hunt on private property without permission wouldn't hesitate in stealing a camera, tree-stand, etc.etc. I had a tree stand and a set of climbing sticks stolen last year. There's just bad apples in every barrel!

jayber

Reaction score
My condolences to you Davered1.  It sux that someone would do that, but unfortunately there are people like that!  Just curious, did you have a hardened chain on your unit?  I figure they must have wanted to keep the camera and not just destroy the box/pictures.......why else spend so much effort in hacking off the chain and not just destroy the whole thing?

davered1

Reaction score
Jayber

The cam had a hardened chain but only a 5$ lock on it. They probably just beat on the lock and either the lock gave way or the ammo can split and pulled out the eye bolt.With any luck all that pounding loosened some connections and it didn't work anyways

Not sure what to do different an axe is pretty tough to protect against

davered1

big tom

Reaction score
Man, Dave, now you have me worried.  I have two cameras out and fearful they will be found.  I think I will really be careful where I set them up, and make sure its really well camoflauged.  Thanks for the alert.  PS- if you use a bicycle cable, no one will be able to cut it.  If you use a Hoffman steel box, no one will be able to destroy that either, but it increases the cost.  Sorry for your loss.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have been building these cameras for several years now.  There is no way to stop someone from stealing your camera.  The lock and chain just keeps people somewhat honest.  If they find your camera and it has taken their picture then they will do what they feel they have to to get it.  I have had them go to great extremes over a couple of days to get a camera they undoubtly had taken their picture.  Probably saw it flash and knew where it was and that it had taken their picture.  I have had three stolen over the last several years and I feel lucky to have had only three stolen.  One time just recently I had one stolen where they backed a four wheeler up to the steel cable and tried jerking the cable/lock loose.  This did not work so they tried beating the box with something when that did not work it looked like they left it and came back later(you could tell by the multiple sets of tracks from their fourwheeler) with a sharp object and tore through the box at the seem.  Then after all that they just stole the camera and left the expensive electronics behind.

I don't believe physically there is anything we can do to stop someone who is determined to steal the camera.  Thus, I am working on a microchip style camera that will require a code to operate everytime it is powered up.  Yes this will be some trouble to me but a least then I will know that no one can use it if they steal it.  Just a little piece of mind.  Then maybe a message that it is code protected and woulld be useless if stolen might help but they would probably just destroy it anyway.

Brian

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
Theft prevention (uhmmm ...reduction) has 3 major steps:

1)  Keep the jerks from finding it.  That includes good camoflage, discrete placement, and not telling ANYBODY where you're putting your cams!!

2)  Keeping the lazy thief honest.  Reasonable security measures that prevent someone with bare hands or a Leatherman type tool from removing the whole unit or just  the camera.

3)  Move the cam often.  If they come back you might have moved it already.  Also, the fresh signs of your presence might make them nervous enough that they will not try stealing the cam.

I also never label my cams controls - even I forget now to use them sometimes!
>>>>
I've considered a few fun ideas - never tried them yet.
A pressurized canister with skunk oil or pepper spray - if the box is not opened just right, they get a nice dose right in the face!
I like the idea of a big ol capacitor - if they open the box up without flicking the right switch - WHAM! - Mr Capacitor make 'em soil their BVDs
>>>>

Brian.....I was thinking along similar lines, only not nearly as advanced.  I was considering putting some sort of microfuse in the circuit somewhere.  If the circuit is not powered up in the right sequence the fuse burns out and the unit stops working.  The jerks would still have stolen the cam, but would probably never figure out how to get it working again.
>>>>
Someone found one of my cams about a week or so ago.  I saw their footprints as I was approaching the area and figured the cam was gone.  All they did was open the box and look inside.  They didn't relatch it all the way and it poured for several days.  Fortunately the Pelican boxes work so well that the one latch kept the rain out.  Can't wait to see the picks and find out if it's someone I know.

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom