Lost another deer huntin buddy

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Allan passed this Saturday. He was the local Pepsi route guy near Rothville MO where Dad and I hunted whitetails for years. He was 52 I believe. Docs had him cracked open on the table workin on his ticker and that was the grim end.

Allan and Brad had the stand next over to mine along White Oak Rd in Chariton Co in northwestern MO. There was a levee that separated us along Yellow Creek, just north of Swan Lake NWR. Their stand was huge, way up in a grand white oak with huge limbs that looked out from the levee bank along a big chunk of timber. Fort Apache they called it because they sure piled the deer up there some days.

2 levels, winders and a roof, they also had a stove where they cooked breakfast every mornin. It about killed me when the wind drifted that smokey bacon smell over to my spot. Sometimes after the shootin laid down I'd wonder over, offer to help work on it for some vittles.

Dad said the funeral was packed as expected, Allan was a popular feller around the area. The local gunshop owner Bill that we hunted together with was there with his family. Big John,. Randy and Gayle were missing, one is back east and Randy is MIA with the railroad somewhere. Dad's old work buddy Gene drove up with him, it used to be us 3 every year driving up to Rothville for the gun season. Sometimes some of the rest of the James gang uncles would show up to git after the deer. Uncle Bob, Uncle "Click" (Larry) and some cousins and buddies.

I'll see if I have a pic of Allan.

Blue skies Allan,

Bulleye

Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. You painted a pretty picture in your story and I am sure he will be missed.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
That's the way to write an obituary right there. Allan sounds like the kind of guy everyone wants to know and have around. And that bacon's smelling mighty good right now.

I'm guessing Allan's building his next stand right now, if'n he's found his spot yet. Rest in peace, Allan.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss.

You wrote a very nice tribute to your friend though. No one is ever really lost if they're still alive in your memory.

GSG

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Sounds as if he lived each day in love with friends, community and outdoors. My best to his family and yours. Keep hunting the levee as ol Allan would do. That area will forever be sacred ground to you all. I hope the first deer taken is a monster. Then you will know Allan is still playin an active role in bringing the deer around. A bow of the head to you Allan. Hunting buddies like you are hard to find.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Jesse. That's a simple but eloquent eulogy for him. Good work, I'm sure he's pleased by it.

I lost a hunting buddy/neighbor/friend a few years back. Not a season goes by without thinking of him. Someone's always quoting him or telling a funny story about him when we're hunting. That's the best way to remember.

Top Bottom