Lost another one!

YORT40

Reaction score
Well we've been stabbed in the back again! This time it was turn-coat Congressman Buck McKeon. He has just signed-off on Sen. Boxers Wilderness bill which will shut down all motor access in the White Mountain Range (X9-C) except the Bristle Cone Rd. Making the entire region a "Roadless Wilderness Area". Bring your boots, Boys, cause all those little mining roads you use to get into the honey hole will have boulders in front of them.

jlostrander

Reaction score
That is so much crap. Having experienced what they have done in the Mojave Preserve. There is nothing good about it, period.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Damn! Pretty pointless. That country is rugged enough that restricting vehicle acces is pointless. There's tons of roadless area in there already.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Yep!
Guess I'll unpack the 4x4 and go pour a drink. My scouting trip is done.
My photographer brother is gonna crap his pants over this one.

YORT40

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ May 30 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Damn! Pretty pointless. That country is rugged enough that restricting vehicle acces is pointless. There's tons of roadless area in there already.[/b]
How about the poor sap who pulls the Zone 7 Bighorn Sheep hunt! Theres not many mules that with make it up to these deep ravines from the bottom, let alone a hunter. I'll start my Forrest Gump training right now!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Typical legislation by a lib beaurocrat who's feet have never left concrete.

RVRKNG

Reaction score
GGGGRRRRRRRRR!
That is a steaming pile of S---!
They can kiss my
AAARRRRG!
I am going in anyway!

MtKrego

Reaction score
Here's the link to the Mammoth Times article:

Mammoth Times Article

Here's a link to the "citizen's proposal" from the Friends of the Inyo site. It talks about some roads that would remain open and has a map. I don't know if this is the same as the bill that was introduced.

Friends of the Inyo Citizens Proposal

It sounds like there might still be time to stop this.

bucknut

Reaction score
Here's the proposed access:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
All major access routes, including the road to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, roads to the Barcroft and Crooked Creek labs, and the east-west Silver Canyon and Wyman Canyon roads, would remain open. Roads to McCloud Camp, Deep Springs Cow Camp, the Molly Gibson Mine, Grandview Mine, and Dead Horse Meadow would continue to remain open. The roads to the Trail Canyon Saddle trail head or up along Cottonwood Creek on the eastside of the Whites are not affected. Hang gliding take-off points, mountain bike trails, working mines, and car camping and hunting campsites have been excluded. Water diversion and development facilities along the western slope have been excluded from the proposal. The Spark Plug Mine, and access to it, is cherry-stemmed out of the potential wilderness.[/b]
My understanding is, any road not named here (and there are many) will likely be closed within 3 years of this bill passing. So basically that means KEEP OUT to anyone who isn't in excellent shape (including kids, elderly, handicap, etc) or can't afford to hire a pack outfit.
With Friends of the Inyo, who need enemies.

SierraFool

Reaction score
Heres a good point, Yeah I am not a fan of shutting all the roads down and I dont hunt X9c anymore,(maybe I will again) but that area with the new access problems will produce some huge bucks in the following years. Its rugged enough anyways but this will become a backcountry hunters dream.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
AS, that is true to a certain extent but you have too see this country to understand the implications. It's HUGE. Compared to the amount of existing land in X9c there are already very few roads. Very few. This is monster country with nothing but steep and deep for miles and miles. I'm all for wilderness areas with roadless country but this is an area that already had a TON of roadless country. There is already plenty of wilderness area without making it a legal "wilderness area." Now, there are areas where it would take many days of waterless packing just to get to the good part. It's basically made a lot of this country virtually worthless for human use. I can't support that.

I totally wish we had more wilderness areas, but in places that made sense. This country is so damn remote already that it's silly.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with you SD. It is wilderness without somebody making it legal.
Nobody in their right mind would venture into the Whites.
I've ventured into them from time to time. It is a very vast, tuff, diverse and ruthless piece of real estate.
I take my hat off to any one who cares to wonder into that place.

DAWG

Reaction score
I have heard a few times that Feinstein's husband bought up a lot of land in the future Mojave Preserve shortly before the passage of the wilderness protection act. After, the government bought it from him at a huge profit. If true, smells like conflict of interest in a bad way.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I never heard about that one Dawg, but I wouldn't be surprised.

.257magman

Reaction score
No one lost nothing except now you have to walk
instead sitting in a cozy vehicle!
I wish they had more road closures during deer season .....heck even shorten it to 5 days!
Deer need all the help they can get and they're are to many road hunter so another benefit
of closed road is its a better quality of hunt! (just close them 2 weeks before opening day bow season).
just my 2 cent.....hunters historically have been great about not starting fire til a few years ago...
but its dry already and state officials are scared!

.257magman

SDHNTR

Reaction score
So you are going to hike 20+ miles in incredibly steep, mostly waterless country to get to where the deer are? I'm not even aware of any pack outfits that operate in the Whites. What you are saying makes sense in most places, not the White Mountains. This is not closing roads so that a hunter will have to hike 5-10 miles to earn his trophy (which is the way it is now, pre closure). This is in effect closing a lot of the area to hunting almost completely. I'm an avid backcountry hunter and wholeheartedly support Wilderness Areas, but this will make a huge chunk of public land inaccessible to even experienced backpackers. You just can't really pack into a lot of the areas this will close off, it's too far and the country too inhospitable. What you guys who have never experienced this country don't understand is that this is already mostly roadless country. And what few roads there are now are needed to allow hike in access to hunt. This is not like most of the Sierras where road closures would definitely do some good. This is much bigger, vast, steep, rocky, dangerous country and with this closure a lot of it will become pretty much useless.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
It will surely make finding Steve Fossett's body harder.

I was really looking forward to that reward money..

Latest Posts

Top Bottom