lost Hiker prayers. Off-Duty Arcadia Firefighter Michael Herdman Goes Missing While Camping Near Fillmore

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words. Mike is a good friend of mine and a coworker. It means a lot to see that caring words were spread to this forum. I was supposed to be on the backpacking trip with both him and Taylor but pulled out due to my daughter getting sick. Mike is very experienced on the sespe trails and has actually made that trip a handful of times with other coworkers and friends. It breaks all of our hearts here at the AFD and the AFFA chapter. Although with odds against him Mike is an amazing athlete and just as stubbern to accomplish every obstical that is put in front of him. Please keep your thoughts and prayers for Mike and his family.

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
Much of the information is not being discussed out side of the CP. I do know however yesterday they found Mikey's pack that Taylor left for him. Nothing else. They are doubling the amount of personnel today and focusing more on areas they ruled out yesterday and areas that stretch further out of the sweep they did yesterday. I do know that Mikey is more than capable of traveling long distances and very fast. He has had a 2 day start on this whole thing so he could be a ways out trying to find a road or anything. Everyone's pulling that today will be the day they find Mike.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Prayers for Mike, his family and his friends.

JONFSH

Reaction score
Just heard the news, Positive thought's and prayers going to Mike and his family. I know a lot of the guys on the Fillmore SAR team (grew up in Fillmore) and they will do everything in their power to find him...

carhex

Reaction score
Still praying please let me know if i could help in anyway. Hector

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Whaddaya know about this Taylor guy? Something doesn't smell right and the entire story comes from him however, who waits 2 days to report a missing friend that is wearing shorts and barefoot? From the link:

"Byars searched for Herdman for nearly two days before he made his way out of the wilderness and reported his friend missing on Sunday evening."

solus

Reaction score
I believe requires 48 hours before a missing person report can be filed for an adult

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I agree, this story is twiggng my spidey senses. I hope they find him alive and well. I've never heard of PDs waiting 48 hrs to search for a lost/overdue hiker, they mobilize ASAP from what I've seen. That's the part this seems odd to me, waiting 2 days before a call for help is made.

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
I do appreciate the concern guys, and to be quite honest the concern should be nothing more than where is our boy mike. Taylor is a member of the arcadia fire department. He is not as experienced as mike , and had no previous knowledge of the area. They are good friends and coworkers . Partners on the same RA on a given shift. Taylor is a wreck, emotionally and physically. To say something is fishy is quite honestly insulting to the individual. He thought that he was going to die, decided that he would look for his friend on the way out , which took him two days. I don't need to defend my brother nor the situation. I do appreciate all of the prayers though boys

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
To clear things up as we are all emotional . They were on a 30 mile hike, part of which was through a few miles of water because of how narrow the area is. After setting camp they removed shoes to dry them off. Mikey's dog ran off and mike went with it . They were 10+ mikes away from the closest trail head with zero services for cell phone use. Media destroys it all.

voidecho

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarifications. I'll admit, even though I didn't say anything I was getting a weird vibe from the story too so it's nice to get more information.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I believe requires 48 hours before a missing person report can be filed for an adult
Doesn't apply to SAR missions. 30 miles in w/o a PLB, wow. Is the dog still missing too? Both are better off if they are together.

Last edited:

QuackAssassin

Reaction score
Found the dog but no mike . Bruce even if they did he went after his animal with no gear on him , they were down for the night

slanttop357

Reaction score
They said they cant catch the pooch keeps running away last report from ABC. Looks like they brought some search dogs in hope they get a good sent and find your friend SAFE.

gregr266

Reaction score
They found a marijuana grow back there during the search.. Hopefully he didn't run into the growers.

Advertisement

Top Bottom