Lost Them

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I have been monitoring a flock of Merriams in Lassen County for a month and anxiously waiting for the opener. The gobblers have been grouped up as have the hens in their winter flocks. Usually these flocks don't break up until mid-April. Yesterday I hiked in to their roost trees and they were not there. I climbed up on a ridge to listen and never heard a cluck or gobble. Today I went back and still no birds. They are in an area with about 2 foot of snow left on it, so my movements are pretty limited. I can hear forever from my listening ridge, so they must have made a substantial move. I have been looking for signs that someone else found them, but I think they just decided to try a new county... THIS SUCKS!! A week to go and suddenly my primary spot seems to have gone down the toilet. I can devote a few hours on Saturday to snowshoeing to try to find them, but then PANIC mode sets in.

Lumpy

Reaction score
That is one thing with Merriams, they never seem to roost in the same area.
Try finding the snow line, they shouldn't be far from it.
Hope this helps.
God Bless

RR1

Reaction score
Don`t give up too soon. Almost exact thing happened to me for a couple of weeks. Went out yesterday and seemed like there were turkeys everywhere. These are Rios though.

mudhen

Reaction score
It's like turkeys have wings and feet and can go anywhere they want. Oh wait, they do and they can!

mudhen

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Same thing has happened to me. 10 days ago there were over 90 birds on my opening day spot. Tuesday, I didn't see a bird. With 8 days to go, I think gobblers will start coming back looking for hens. Major dispersal of hens, with 80 degree weather this week.....These birds were about 2 miles away.

Attachments

buckmaster14

Reaction score
I had a flock of 18 in my spot this winter, took a shot at a nice LB this winter during the season, then in mid february they all disapeared, now i just got 6 hens that pop in and out every now and again. I think it depends on where the birds are at in the winter, if you have them in your area, those birds will move to another spot for spring.

Last year, these birds primary spot was right directly behind my house. Then in the spring, they moved farther back almost out of my land. This year they wintered where they were last spring, and they have moved FARTHER back still!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom