Lot's of NEW HOME-BREWER'S lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizz

Reaction score
After a couple of months of relative slowness I've noticed a large increase in the amount of "new" home-brewer's on here. This is GREAT and let me say "WELCOME" to all of you. I remember the excitement of my first cam so I know how a lot of you are feeling - nothin wrong with that but.....

Please take the time to read the 2 or 3 topics at the top of the Game Trail Cameras and Camcorders section mainly "FAQS" and "HELPFUL HINTS". MOST of your questions are answered there and there are a lot of links to pictures and diagrams. This will save time from re-hashing them in a new topic.
DON"T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY, we all enjoy building home-brews and figuring out "problems" and "new ideas" and your questions are welcome here. If, after you've read the material Jesse has already posted on the site, you still have questions or are confused then by all means please ask.

No question is a dumb question. Last year about this time I didn't know the difference between a solder pen and a relay - HONESTLY!

So Welcome to the "Newbies" and good luck with your first cam - I guarantee it won't be your last.

gizz

Reaction score
I've noticed a LOT more traffic from New Homebrewers in the game cam subject so I decided to post another "PLEASE READ THE FAQ" topic. Some of the questions are answered in the first pages of the homebrew directions so I know some of them aren't reading any of it. I know the first cam is exciting but i remember sleeping with my instructions for the first 2 weeks!
Anyways just wanted to let Spectr and everyone else know why i posted that.
With Xmas and the New Year fast approaching I'd just like to wish everyone a GREAT holiday season and Hope our troops overseas are safe as well. That's gotta be tough on their families, especially this time of year.
Later,
gizz

PS: I just noticed Tinhorn went from a "kiss the ring" to an Administrator. Geez, how do you rate? :back-to-the-top:

StringShooter

Reaction score
I noticed a bunch of new traffic lately too. Some seem to want a quick fix, like you mentioned, instead of reading the instructions. I did about a week of reading before I even bought a single part.

One newbie congratulated me on the great website that I was running :big-grin-aqua: I straightened him out on that one Jesse!

Anyway, everyone have a great Christmas & New Year and wish me luck on getting a deer before our season ends. I have been very selective so far. I may have to take one of those pesky birds so my sweetie can try out her new turkey fryer.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't know how I got that rating Gizz, think I was at the wrong place at the wrong time,  ha ha.  Actually, Jesse was afraid he and Fubar would be gone hunting together and might need someone to Reset the Board, plus he said some of the moderators were spread a little thin, so I agreed to lend a hand.

On the Newbie thing, I think they are the younger generation who don't have much patience.... but who knows.  Wonder where they all came from all of a sudden?  

I started adding tips, etc on Welby's "Random Thoughts" thread so they can be referred to it (time and time again)  These mostly are pretty new things not on Jesse's Homebrew page   (like your Date/Time battery ID Gizz)  so if you see something that may come up again, mite want to add it there.

Man StringShooter, I hope you do better than I did Gun Season on Deer,  my ML let me down on an 8pt, the 1st one I hit that was not instantly down (out of 15 or so, over the years).....we tracked and searched for 2-1/2 hrs before giving up, I hate that happened, guess I made a bad hit

Hope you guys had a good TG'g and a better Christmas,  See Ya!

Tinhorn  (aka  Harold)

Fubar

Reaction score
Tinhorn I thought we all had to pay to be an Administrator or Moderator.     HMMMMM Jesse i want my money back.            Fubar

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
If the younger generation don't have patience... hunting is in a heap O' trouble.  That's most of what hunting is unless you're here in PA where everyone expects to see a deer behind every tree...  I digress

Yeah, I remember a year ago when printed my first set of instruction for a home-brew camera.  I used to be a supervisor for UPS and they always told us it takes an average person seven times of doing something before they remember how to do it.  I bet I read those instructions that many times.(Does this mean I'm below average?)  I tell everyone I introduce to this to read over the instructions many times to get an understand of what is going on before diving into the hardware.  It makes a BIG difference.  

Anyways... Have a good holiday you guys.  Be careful to anyone traveling out there.

12 days till Xmas..... 13 days til FLINTLOCK SEASON!!!!! :bounce-red-fire:

ToddP

(Edited by ToddP at 4:49 pm on Dec. 13, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
First, I want to welcome ranchwife (Julie) as a moderator for our Womens forum. I think I read somewhere women hunters were the fastest growing part of the hunting community. Sure beats looking at guys like Fubar across the campfire. Now we just need to invite in some more women to keep Julie company.

The newbies and the increase in the use of the forum are showing up on my daily nasty gram from my server company.  At first I thought it was a spike but nope, it's a steady arrow going up the chart. I see Marshall at Hunt America is going to a dedicated server to ease his growing pains with 5,000 members. My crystal ball says will be there pretty soon. I hate to put up banner ads and go commercial so hopefully I can keep my server company at bay.

Fine site you have here Stingshooter. :tongue-green: Good luck on that turkey bird.

I'm glad Todd P and Gizz are going to teach patience class. You should see my email even with the huge red text to please red the FAQs and forum first. I know I had a ton of patience as a teen. :bounce-green:

The JHP forum stickers are done and Thonzberry is handling them for $3.00 a pop. Info is in the announcements section on where to send the money. Working on him to not nick the mods and admin for that much. Just don't tell Fubar.

And finally, I want to thank all you swell eggs for helping keep this circus going. It's only been about 9 months but it's getting pretty busy. Have a safe and happy holidays everyone. You can send any eggnog or left over pecan pie to me at my home address.

BlackWater

Reaction score
We have to putting a dent on the commercial market, somedays I get a dozen questions about my webpage and questions in general about the cams.   I keep sending them to the board for answers, but agree many won't take the time to review.  Some have demanded that I make them to sell to them.  LOL
Not sure any other homemade item vs. commercial has taken off quite like this.

Best to all

Fubar

Reaction score
Julie Welcome! The pay is lousy (none) and there are no benifits also. I will probably have to pay double for my JHP sticker too. How much did Jesse charge you to be a Moderator? He only charged me 20 dollars, but I had to pay extra to be an Administrator. He told me he was giving me a deal. As you can see from the picture of the moderators above, Jesse (the one on the right) can be pretty tough. I cant remember why he was trying to hit me (on the left) with the club. Good thing Tinhorn (in the middle) was there to save me.

Seriously though, You all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.                     Dave

Welby

Reaction score
Happy Holidays Guys!!!

We have a lot of new guys and gals now.  Their excitement is as great now as ours was then about the camera project.  Fortunately for them, everything has been figured out to a "T".  Unfortunately for us, most of them are too impatient to dig through the piles of info we have left for them.  They would rather we just deliver it to them on a silver platter, I sometimes think.

Overall, we have an excellent place to visit on the web.  I really enjoy my time here and sharing stuff with everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Top Bottom