Lower 48 Float Hunt?

Where's Bruce?

I wanna field test some gear (Yukon Yak packraft, new backpack and my body) on the water for a week before heading to AK, is there anyplace out west that would be a good testing ground for such a trip? I thought the Colorado River but am told getting a permit is becoming an issue now. I know we're in for a serious winter with lots of rain and wanna hit the water when the river is not too crazy. Was looking at the Merced River but heard it can be a high class ride and I'm inexperienced. Need to be able to camp alongside the river and don't wanna go through densely populated areas (like the Staniclaus River). Thanks.

mischief209

San jauquin might work, there was a CNN reporter that floated it just to see how bad the drought is, his name is john ? Can't rember last name but he has a full story with pics. Said he had to walk and push twice. I believe he stated at the dam and floated to the delta. You go through mostly farm land.

jrod

The Sacramento would be good. Put in at Redding Posse grounds and you can float all the way to Red Bluff and have to get out at the Red Bluff diversion dam. Put back in below diversion dam and you can paddle all the way to the ocean if your heart so desires but there are a ton of launch ramps and towns along the way so as to make your trip as long or short as you want. Excellent fishing throughout its entire length; trout salmon and stripers. Anything below high water mark is considered public so camping on the beach shouldn't be an issue
CHeers

jrod

Everything that isn't advanced white water; the Sac is a class 1+, easy. Especially for a week long practice float. I don't think there are to many rivers in the south or eastern sierra that would allow that kind of duration. Maybe the Kern, IDK. To save a 10 hour drive you may want to look into that permit for the Colorado. You also have to think of a way to get back to your rig or have your rig placed at your takeout point.

mezcan

Eel not a bad choice either, south fork by garberville to the ocean near fortuna . All in b deer zone . National forest and some other public lands , pigs possible through southern humboldt area .
Another plus , no Grizz !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom