M1 Garand

don766

Which is more desirable, a Winchester or a Springfield M1 Garand if their condition is the same?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I would personally prefer a Winchester, but that's just because I'm a Winchester fan. I'd think they're not as common either but I don't know that.

Rick

I believe the Winchester is more desirable, valuable and/or collectible. THere were a lot more of the Springfields made.

larrysogla

I have an International Havester brand new M1 Garand unused receiver, a Winchester(supposedly brand new also) M1 Garand receiver, 2 Harrington and Richardson complete M1 rifles, one military issue Springfield Armory complete M1 Garand rifle and 3 barrel/stock sets complete with all the other small parts to complete the IH and Winchester receivers. Both IH and Winchester receivers were bought through an FFL dealer. I bought them over a span of years on gun shows and what used to be Sherwood gunstore in Parthenia st. in the San Fernando Valley and then they moved to San Fernando City in the Foothill boulevard area. I also have a military issue Springfield Armory M1903 with the ladder style rear sights in original condition. I have only fired the Springfield Armory M1 Garand. So little time as I have to take care of my 28 yr. daughter who needs special care and I was also the president of the Men's Ministry in our church for a long time. In addition to hunting hogs and wabbits and deer in what little spare time there is. Still it is nice to handle such historic military rifles.
'Nuff said
larrysogla

don766

Still it is nice to handle such historic military rifles.

Agreed, I had an A303 but got rid of it years ago, wished now I had kept it. Back then you could buy them or M1 carbines out of shotgun news for next to nothing. I never imagined that the prices would get so high.

larrysogla

I have sold over the years Rugers, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Beretta, Colt, Harrington & Richardson, Smith & Wesson, Erma, Inland M1 carbine etc. and NOW I REGRET every single one of those sales, as I bought those beautiful guns 20-31 years ago when they were cheap.............but now they are an arm and a leg to replace.......SIGH!!!!!
'Nuff said
larrysogla

hunthog

There are fewer Winchesters which makes them more desierable and more collectable. It also makes them cost more than they are really worth. Winchesters were and are the roughest of the Garands. Machining was rough, finish was thin and overall they look poorly made and thrown together. Most parts look partially machined or formed with a file. The beauty of them, though, is that they fuction just as well as any other Garand and parts from all Garands are completely interchangable.

Geting a truely collectable Winchester with mostly Winchester parts will be an expensive investment. Expect to pay upwards to $3000 for a correct Winchester in good condition. If you get a mixmaster Winchester that has been arsenal rebuilt it's not worth the time or money to try and make it correct. It will cost you double what you might pay on an auction Site for an almost correct rifle.

Examle:
Real (there are a lot of fakes out there) Winchester stock - $400 -$500. Real Winchester barrel - $300 - $400. Winchester correct lockbar rear sight - $400 - $500. Winchester gas cylinder - $250 - $350. The small parts are not any cheaper compared to the same parts for an SA Garand.

Springfield Garands are easily found and bought for decent prices with CMP, www.odcmp.com being your best source of several grades of SA Garands, some Rack and Field Grade Winchesters and HRA Garands at the best prices anywhere. Those RG and FG Winchesters may only have a Winchester receiver and the rest a mix of all manufacturers.

I currently have 7 Garands and I'm building another for match use and another as an M1D sniper rifle. I've built 2 of my Garands from spare parts and new barrels. They are a fantastic rifle. IMHO there is no finer example of a USGI battle rifle on the planet AND they are a kick in the arse to shoot:smiley-mouse:

If you think Winchesters are expensive, take a look at International Harvester Garands. I have one of each type in my collection as well as some special types. SA, HRA, IHC, WIN, one pre Pearl Harbor and 3 WWII as well as 1903A3's Remington M1903 Modified, an SA M1903 Mk1, Inland and Winchester Carbines and other WWII rifles from almost every nation involved in WWII. And all the bayonets.

It's like a drug when you get started. You can't just have one and getting a C&R FFL license makes it even worse.

Larry

hunthog

Is there a web site or a book for confirming serial numbers?
Send me an email and I can send you a bunch and give you a link so you can download a bunch of referrence files for serial numbers, parts ID, etc.

Larry:patiotic-wavin-flag

zweeterpan

I noticed that on the CMP website, the Winchesters tend to sell for more. I also recall reading an issue of the Garand Collector's Association Journal where it said that Springfield built almost 7 times more Garands than Winchester. If I find the article...I'll put it up...

hunthog

SA made 3,526,922 Garands from 1937 to 1945. Winchester began making M1 Garands in 1941 and made 513,880 from 1941 to 1945. Winchester ceased production of Garands in approx June 1945.

SA made almost 6.9 times as many Garands as Winchester pre and during WWII.

Springfield began making Garands again in 1952 and between January 1952 and June 1957 made another 667,747 rifles.

In all Springfield made 4,194,669 Garands, 8.2 times the number of Winchesters, 12.4 times the number of International Harvester Corporation Garands and 9.8 times the number of Harrington & Richardson Arms Garands.

Now you know why IHC Garands command such a high price, often double the price of a nice Winchester. Only 337,623 were ever made.

Larry:patiotic-wavin-flag

Last edited:

Top Bottom