Machine Gun-Toting Officers To Patrol NYC Subway

easymoney

Reaction score
"NEW YORK (CBS) ― More protection against terrorists is coming to a subway station near you. Starting Thursday, special bomb teams, known as "Torch Teams," will be toting submachine guns and bringing bomb-sniffing dogs onto the platforms and into the trains. CBS 2 HD was out first thing Thursday morning on the lookout for these significant security measure improvements. "

"It's a first for mass transit in the United States. NYPD officers, armed with rifles, submachine guns, body armor and bomb-sniffing dogs will begin patrolling the city's subway system thanks to a 50 percent increase in a homeland security grant"

"It's a very good idea. It's like a deterrent. It's going to make me feel safer, much safer, yes it will. It's a good idea," said commuter Patricia Knight Williams. "
http://wcbstv.com/local/machine.guns.subway.2.707398.html

Welcome to the rest of the world...
For those that have never traveled outside the USA, this has been the norm in all nations worldwide since the 60s...
Might make it a little rough on the homeboy muggers and gangbangers...

Common Sense

Reaction score
It won't make me feel safer, just the opposite. Due to all the pot farms on federal land to the east of me, the National Park Rangers often carry machine guns now. It gives me a very uncomfortable feeling every time I see it.

easymoney

Reaction score
I don't particularly like it either, but I can guarantee no funny business will take place...
All LEO carry M16s now, even the park rangers, because they have been seriously out gunned in the past while only carrying little 9mm pistols. Also one of the reasons I am in favor of personal carry in all national parks. If only bad guys have guns all of us cannot expect LEO to be there when we really need them...
As I said anyone who travels to ANY country other than our own should be expecting to see LEO armed with automatic weapons in all public places. It is a way of life and rarely is there any confrontation caused by any bad guys. Even the Vatican is heavily armed with Swiss Guards who hail from a pacifist nation...

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (easymoney @ Apr 24 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't particularly like it either, but I can guarantee no funny business will take place...[/b]
So you are willing to "guarantee" as a result of these guys carrying submachine guns and jackboots there will be "no" as in zero crime on NYC subways?

Do you think the "rest of the world" is a good example of what the United States should aim for? Like the big brother system in the UK?

Here is a great video of exactly what this police state has in mind...NRA: Katrina

easymoney

Reaction score
No, but I firmly believe perps and predators know they can get away with s*&% because LEO and courts allow them to and there is no serious enforcement.
And my post did not say anything about a police state, nor jackboots. I am for law and order and strict enforcement of our laws, period. I just think that this is an example of how LEO is reacting to the times and circumstances we face today...
And personally I am very surprised we have not had another 09/11/01 happen here on our soil, because of our lax security and border policies. WE ALL, have been very lucky and I am thankful...

rcrosby

Reaction score
Your article didn't say anything about about stepped up enforcement of any specific laws or changes to a court system. It just said that the NYC police through federal funding grants have basically militiarized.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (easymoney @ Apr 25 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
WE ALL, have been very lucky and I am thankful...[/b]
How do you know "WE ARE very lucky"? Maybe there are no terrorist cells here. Maybe it isn't expediant for the government to have a terrorist attack right now. Maybe we have been stripped of enough of our liberty that we are protected like little cozy babies so we can tune into our favorite show while stuffing our face full of twinkies.

troll

Reaction score
Normally I'm on the same side of the argument as CS and rcrosby, but this time I'm going to differ.

While I'm not excited about the militarization of the police, the police are being out gunned on the streets. Most of us defend the free and open sale of these types of firearms. Because of that, good guys and criminals both have access. Then we ask that our police officers (the ones who stand between us good guys and the criminals) to fight with one arm tied behind their back.

I'm always leery of the many small steps toward a police state that we've taken since 9/11 and will stand strong against most of them. On this point, I don't see it as an ideological matter of personal freedom and liberty but a practical solution to a growing problem.

easymoney

Reaction score
rcrosby, those are all suppositions and guesses, so no one will know until it's probably too late...
And I for one am armed and prepared to defend me and mine against any intruders. Here where I live most us have more firepower than even LEO and we are at least 45min out from any LEO making an appearance.
We are undoubtedly lucky because "they" did once very easily and can do it again very easily... I am in favor of enforcement of our laws and strict punishment of those breaking them, not "militarization". I never used that word, nor do I see it in the article...
"On this point, I don't see it as an ideological matter of personal freedom and liberty but a practical solution to a growing problem. "
And I must admit this puts it much better than I could...

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (troll @ Apr 25 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While I'm not excited about the militarization of the police, the police are being out gunned on the streets. Most of us defend the free and open sale of these types of firearms. Because of that, good guys and criminals both have access. Then we ask that our police officers (the ones who stand between us good guys and the criminals) to fight with one arm tied behind their back.[/b]
Good points Troll. I don't expect the police to be undergunned or fight with an arm tied behind their back. I have zero problem with whatever weapons they chose to have. But the constant presence of militarized police with dogs on the NYC subway is not because they are worried about meeting equal force on a train. How many shootouts with automatic weapons have occured on a NYC subway? It is about getting law abiding citizens use to a constant police state and presence.

Hartseeker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rcrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good points Troll. I don't expect the police to be undergunned or fight with an arm tied behind their back. I have zero problem with whatever weapons they chose to have. But the constant presence of militarized police with dogs on the NYC subway is not because they are worried about meeting equal force on a train. How many shootouts with automatic weapons have occured on a NYC subway? It is about getting law abiding citizens use to a constant police state and presence.[/b]

scrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hartseeker @ Apr 25 2008, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rcrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good points Troll. I don't expect the police to be undergunned or fight with an arm tied behind their back. I have zero problem with whatever weapons they chose to have. But the constant presence of militarized police with dogs on the NYC subway is not because they are worried about meeting equal force on a train. How many shootouts with automatic weapons have occured on a NYC subway? It is about getting law abiding citizens use to a constant police state and presence.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Nice points hartseeker....you added a lot to this discussion!!!

Hartseeker

Reaction score
Thanks! A picture's worth a thousand words. By the way, what did you add to the discussion?

scrosby

Reaction score
On your 3 post today you have wrote a total of 3 words and one picture. You dont have to have a well thought out response to everything but maybe half??

Hartseeker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On your 3 post today you have wrote a total of 3 words and one picture. You dont have to have a well thought out response to everything but maybe half??[/b]
Again, you didn't add a thing to this discussion but you bagged on me for posting a picture.

It's not your message board and it's not even your thread so why are you worried about what I post? If it really gets your panties into a wad then report the post to Jesse.

Sheesh.

scrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hartseeker @ Apr 25 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On your 3 post today you have wrote a total of 3 words and one picture. You dont have to have a well thought out response to everything but maybe half??[/b]
Again, you didn't add a thing to this discussion but you bagged on me for posting a picture.

It's not your message board and it's not even your thread so why are you worried about what I post? If it really gets your panties into a wad then report the post to Jesse.

Sheesh.
[/b][/quote]

Teacher!! Teacher!!! hart stole my crayon!!

rcrosby

Reaction score
These folks were just photographed "down at the bing". Hart?

Attachments

Hartseeker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hartseeker @ Apr 25 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrosby @ Apr 25 2008, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sheesh.
[/b][/quote]

Teacher!! Teacher!!! hart stole my crayon!!
[/b][/quote]

Wow. A hypocrite AND immature. Nice.

Top Bottom