Mad Calls

junglecrawler

Reaction score
I am not a person who is given to buying calls,as I make most all of mine myself except for a diaphram call,however the year before last, before the season began my daughter bought me a model 313 Custom Crystal made by Mad Calls,as it turned out I used the call to call in 2 exceptionally nice toms who now adorn my wall,well last season I went to get the call out of my vest where it had stayed during the off season and practice with it before the season came in only to find that the pot had warped and cracked the crystal,back in the beginning of this month I sent an email to the folks at Mad Calls and explained to them what had happened and if there was any way they could fix it if I sent it to them,they were very quick to respond to my email and told me to just send them the call and $3.00 for shipping.Today I received a new call and a new view on customer service.I believe it is really great that some companies still value thier customers and stand behind thier products. My hat comes off to the great folks at Mad Calls.

Possum

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that MAD sold to Outland, Inc. a few years ago, but I am sure Mark and Terry still have a big voice in the operation.  They are the best guys I know of as far as customer satisfaction. Super nice guys with a genuine interest in people.

Pots will warp  because of the moisture content of the wood.  I had one made out of cocobola that warped after 4 years INSIDE MY HOUSE.  I keep everything in airtight containers inside.  I did have  a cedar glass call break because the pot warped slightly.  That one was made by Ron Clough of Close Calls.  He immediately replaced it.  Sounds like MAD is continuing in their tradition of taking care of the customer.  I hope you call one up with it this year.

PowDuck

Reaction score
Always good to hear good reports from big companies. That's not always the case.

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I have heard stories like this from MAD calls.  What more can you ask for?? They make great gear and replace it if it breaks.  I guess they realize that the cost of a new call is well worth keeping a customer......especially one who will share his experiances in a forum like this.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Something that I have noticed about the line of MAD products is that they seem to want to stay on the leading edge of the sport.  If you compare their product line with some of the others, MAD is more modern and they are not afraid to try new ideas.  Not that modern is always better but they are trying stuff all the time.  And I like that.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Bill Zearing from CODY turkey calls did the exact same thing for me last year. I had a slate call that was several years old, something came loose inside the pot and was rattling around. I saw him at the local sportsman show and showed him what happened, and asked if it could be fixed,  he handed me a brand new call. Any of you guys and gals out West ever use a CODY call?

Welby

Reaction score
Several years ago when M.A.D. intro'd that call making kit, my boss purchased one right away.  After making a few good calls, he had some ideas he wanted to try out but wanted to get some advice first.  He called M.A.D. to ask about different aspects of call making, but never expected what happened next.  He was pleasantly surprised when Mark Drury himself got on the phone to answer his questions and give him additional call making tips.  My boss is very critical of most of the turkey hunting "experts" and "pros" that abound today, but he was very impressed with Mark Drury.

In addition to that, I have had a nearly similar experience with the Knight & Hale guys.  They seem to be pretty good down home guys as well.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
  Thanks for sharing a pleasant product service experience with us Junglecrawler. I will definetly
take another look at the MAD call line and give one a try.
  I had a similar experience with Thompson Center
Arms...... I bought just the action to a T/C Contender....no grip or stock....just the main frame action. The catch was that the hammer spring had been robbed out to put on another action. For $50 bucks I was willing to buy it and take a chance at buying a new spring. Well I bought it and called T/C. They told me to send it to them and they would install it for no charge.....I was thinking the labor would be no charge....I said fine it is on the way. Well guess what they did. They installed the spring as asked, but went beyond the call of duty and upgraded the safety and even cleaned up the finish so well that I thought they had actually sent me a brand new frame.......all this for free... yes no charge.... I was amazed and very grateful. And yes I did tell them that I did not purchase this new but obviously it doesn't matter to them. I went on to order a .375 WIN. Custom Shop (Fox Ridge) Bull Barrel and Rynite stock and forend and now have a handy wheel gun topped with a 1.5 - 5 Leupold that has sent quite a few wild hogs to the skinning pole.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Thompson Center also.  I had a very old Contender that I used for years.  I simply wanted a factory tune-up and upgrade. (I wanted the trigger that has the centerfire-to-rimfire adjustment on a little dial).  First I called T/C and talked to a guy who was very friendly and seemed like he genuinely wanted to help.  I sent my frame to them and within a week I received a letter telling me that my frame was an older style and pretty beat up (it was).  They wanted my permission to return a new Contender frame at no charge.  The letter went on to explain that some folks want to keep their old equipment just for old time sake or many other reasons.  I returned the note with my permission to send a new one.  Three days later I received a brand new Contender.  I sent them a thank you note.

TScottW99

Reaction score
glad to hear that about M.A.D.  I just got their wooden pot custom crystal call about a month ago.  I really like it so far.  I had a pleasent experience the other month.  I bought a tonnea cover for my pickup last year.  This Christmas it ripped and I only had three days left on the warranty.  I called up Saddleman and told them what happened and they asked what kind of truck and bed.  I told them and they gave me my order number !!!!  It arrived a week later.  They didn't any kind of proof or anything.. told me to just throw it away... Don't see much customer service like that anymore.

kilbuc

Reaction score
I have and use M.A.D. diaphram calls.  Some of the best I have used.

Glad too hear of others good experiences with companies standing behind thier products.  

I have had excellent response and support from Leupold.  Mainly knocking binoculars out of alignment (I'm hard on binocs), sent them in and no ??'s and had them returned good as new in a couple weeks.  No cost.

Can't say the same for Shakespeare rod company.  There so called ugly sticks do break and not with much effort.  I had one break about 12" from the tip, sent it in with explanation, got a complete new rod but was charged more than the original purchase cost.  Needless to say my next 2 rods that I purchased were not Shakespeares.  And my next 2 won't either.

vermonsta

Reaction score
How do you get in touch with Madd? I had a plastic/graphite box call that sounded like nothing living ... dropped and shattered so I threw it out. I currently have a double barrel box which is one of the most horrible calls I have ever heard and have had same feedback from a couple of others. My first call was the super alluminator  (slate style) and still love it and I have used a couple of their mouth calls with good results. I have been never been able to get in touch with Madd. What would they do with this lemon? Don't like to bad mouth a company but have been shying away due to last couple of purchases and don't mention brand to friends. Will they replace this ,and how do I get in touch with them ? Thanks ....Vermonsta

Welby

Reaction score
vermonsta, I believe I had that same box call you are talking about, the Carbonator.  I couldn't get anything turkey sounding out of it, so I gave it to someone I know who would be much more proficient in it.

M.A.D. Calls have to be given credit for really being one of the most innovative call makers out there.  That's a plus, but hasn't always yielded good products.  For instance, the M.A.D. Carbonator, the Silent Locator whistle, and a few others haven't managed to earn high praise from a lot of turkey hunters.  That doesn't mean that M.A.D. doesn't produce good calls because they make a lot of excellent calls.  It's just that they don't always seem to work all the bugs out of their products and consequently release them prematurely.  That's just my opinion.

As I said, they are highly innovative.  Sometimes, though, I think they are trying to be so creative and ahead of everyone else that it is their undoing at times.  Otherwise, they are a great company and seemingly a wonderful bunch of people.

Just my opinion...

vermonsta

Reaction score
Welby the reason I bought the carbonator was it was a mad call after using the super alluminator I figured it was high tech and it would be as good.I ususually try to stay current and if it sounds reasonable I'll try something new. After 2 years trying it with not a single response(when other one did) other than laughter  it got broken. I bought another box call the double barrel by mad and I'm just as unhappy with it .I heard that others had good results with getting a replacement for a bad call and was hoping to see if they would check out the one I have. Many accessorys in hunting have people swearing by them ,or swearing at them such as the dog whistle, peacock call, etc so I know nothing will work for everyone everytime. I know more people that have had  gobbles to closing the truck door than I have had with those two calls but I don't know anyone who carrys one around.

doublebeard

Reaction score
I meet and talked with Mark couple years ago about a call Idea very nice person although that was as far as we got
still nice guy

Latest Posts

Top Bottom