Mainstay VG-8000 sensor

dharter

Reaction score
I bought one of the Mainstay VG-8000 sensors instead of the WM2 by mistake.  It costs about the same as a WM2.  I wrote the manufacturer and asked for a schematic, but they said it was unavaiilable.  If you could get this sensor to work it has the nice feature that for night you can set the delay time between pictures to 1 min.  It also has a sensitivity adjustment potentiometer. I took it apart today to see if I could use a DC supply with it.  It had a Blue Sky SRUT-SS-124DM1 relay in it(www.bluesky.com) similar to the one in the ms20s. It has an IC which I could not identify or find any data sheets on the web.  Maybe it is a custom chip. It had the following markings on it: (Heath Co 6MR=8C52)
I traced out the power supply components.  Part of its supply voltage is an AC supply.  It is not just a full wave rectifier circuit.  On pin 14 of the mystery IC, my multimeter measured 3.6VAC.  That is about a 5 peak voltage sine wave.  So it seems that for now this sensor cannot be run on DC batteries.  Maybe a 555 oscillator could be used to generate the ac voltage that it needs.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi dharter,
Many line powered sensors use the 60Hz frequency of the 120VAC as a time base (with the voltage reduced - as you noticed)  If you could find the specs for the IC, you could probably get the sensor to work off of a battery - but without the specs it would really be a matter of just trying various ideas and see if they work.

Archilochus

Top Bottom