Major Shotshell Price Increase

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I was at Wal-Mart today and was I in for a shock at the NEW lead shotshell prices...
...Federal Brick (4 boxes).....up from $14.88 to $20.99, Winchester Brick....up from $14.88 to $21.99, Winchester AA's ...up from $5.22 to $7.99 (per box), and cheapy Remington dove loads....up from $3.34 to $4.99.....This is Wal-Mart...... Can you imagine what Turners, Big 5, and others are going to be? Better start looking for those deals now and stock up............

This is lead. Can't wait till it's STEEL ONLY for all upland............

xman53

Reaction score
i heard about the increase last year before dove season and bought 25 -10 box cases at wal-mart for 39 a case--xman

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xman53 @ May 1 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i heard about the increase last year before dove season and bought 25 -10 box cases at wal-mart for 39 a case--xman[/b]
xman53,

Good thinking......That should get ya through dove season.........

P.S.
Just kidding. I found a Wal-Mart today that still had some at $3.44. I bought 'em all.......

uplandj

Reaction score
at these prices (food, gas, ammo) I'm going to have to shoot better!

maddog58

Reaction score
If you live in the designated California Condor range you can't use lead on anything including upland birds. I just bought 10 cases of lead shells and won't be able to hunt with them

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog58 @ May 2 2008, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you live in the designated California Condor range you can't use lead on anything including upland birds.[/b]

Please tell me that this is not correct. I thought it was okay as long as you were deer hunting at the same time?????????

pbrdog

Reaction score
I could swear that I saw in the big game booklet I got with my lifetime license that upland game was included in the small mammal catagory where you can use lead. But for varmints you must use nonlead. I can't find it on the website but will look again when I get home.

dhall61

Reaction score
Price hikes, and other politcal issues have me back into reloading. Other than the time factor, there are more reasons to do it, then not.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Maddog is INCORRECT.

The regs are available for anyone to read on the DFG website. They've been posted here on JHO several times as well.

Non-lead for big game and nongame ONLY. Small game and upland are NOT included at this time.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Thanks Speck, that's what I thought, However, if you are out dove/quail/whatever hunting with your shotgun with lead birdshot; you'd better not have a deer tag in your pocket or vehicle!

uplandj

Reaction score
An ounce of #8's would just make a buck mad anyways.

maddog58

Reaction score
Thats a relief to hear !!!! I thought they were going to add upland game to the ban - just a bad rumor I guess

gundogs

Reaction score
The lead shot on upland birds is fine for now except on certain game bird clubs that have adopted the use of non lead ammo on a voluntary basis. You may need to call ahead to see what is allowed before you visit the club.
There is also wording from Ca DFG that includes "any projectile" so beware, the no lead restriction will no doubt soon effect us all in Ca.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
"Prices" yeah! well, there's no end to things skyrocketing!

Hell, I remember when the very first season of "Monday Night Football" aired, I bought myself a quart of Bud, along with a package of Frito Lays salted peanuts for 99 cents!

Try the same today, and its closer to 5+ dollars for the exact same thing! Go figure!

I also bought "low lead" regular gas for a little as .25 cents/gallon at the same time!

My wages today, barely make the costs happen in this current economy, and, the Gov. try's to state, "inflation" is at an "all time low" whoa! what sort of shyte is this?

sounding like I just may have to start "reloading" all over again?

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom