Make or buy timers? (RS PIR)

cgchris99

Reaction score
I built two Cameras last fall and had a lot of fun with them.  I didn't put timers on them.  Well with Radio Shack having the PIRs so cheap I bought 3 more.

Is it best to build or buy your own timers now?  (for RS pir)

Thanks for any advice

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Build one of brians timers.  less than $20 total including the chip from brian switches and all.  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I am in total agreement with AEH. I fooled around w/ a BUNCH of 555/556 combinations and junk, mainly to get my hand back into some electronics, and Brians chips are great. He will give you the delays YOU want, and they work like a charm. He also doesn't seem to get to irritated when you ask really dumb questions. Thats my 2 cents.

Butch

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CG,
Definately build a timer with one of Brians ICs.  You'll want to take all those 555/6s, capacitors, and resistors out back and shoot the lot of 'em after using Brians parts!
Wish he came up with this stuff several years back - I don't want to think about how much time I wasted on all my various complicated timer circuits :-(

Archilochus

cgchris99

Reaction score
where do I order them and how do I get some details as far as how they work and what options are available.

Thanks all for your help

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CG,
From Brian!  He's posted much of the info on functions to the forum and his web-site.  Search his "user name" (Brian) and you'll find his e-mail & web site address.

Archilochus

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Here is a link to brians manual for hooking up his timer chip.

Brians Manual

He sells just the chip $7.25,  The etched board $10, or the completed timer board for $36.   He also has a complete board with a builtin PIR for $70.  The prices are close but He will have to comfirm they are still correct.  I just use his chip.  the new board may have day/night as an option.  He just figured it out so I don't know if he is selling it yet.

You will love the versatility of his control chip however you do it.  Here is his email link.

Brian</a>

I have a parts list I can send you if you want to tackle it yourself.  I would recommend the etched board though.  The time you save wil be well worth it.

Good luck

(Edited by ArkansasElkHunter at 7:42 am on April 28, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
cgchriss99,

I sent you my info.

Been turkey hunting sorry for the delay.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom