Make your own decoys

RanchRoper

Reaction score
First thing I'm not attempting to promote this company.  I'm passing this web site on to those of you that would like to make your own decoys.  I just bought a mold and am going to attmpt to make my own.  It seems like it will be cheaper than buying decoys in the long run.  The site is http://www.blacklabdecoys.com  I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you are going to try making your own decoys.  Maybe we can talk about how our projects and what works best.  If nothing else it's something to do during the down time.  Happy hunting

RanchRoper

Reaction score
First thing I'm not attempting to promote this company.  I'm passing this web site on to those of you that would like to make your own decoys.  I just bought a mold and am going to attmpt to make my own.  It seems like it will be cheaper than buying decoys in the long run.  The site is http://www.blacklabdecoys.com  I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you are going to try making your own decoys.  Maybe we can talk about how our projects and what works best.  If nothing else it's something to do during the down time.  Happy hunting

RanchRoper

Reaction score

RanchRoper

Reaction score

huntducks

Reaction score
RR

I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

I went and took a look around the site, and my first thought was WOW, but after looking at material prices I thought ouch.

Unless you have a close & cheaper source for material, I don't see how you can save a dime with duck decoys, using there liquid system it comes out to $8.00 per bird without painting & keel, sure evey time you use the mold the cost goes down, and if you use the mix & boil system it's 25lbs min. order at $1.50 a lb shipping, unless you want to make your own as a labor of love or 5-6 guys go in and all want 200 decoys ea I canot see how it is cost effective.

I think the fullbody goose & floater goose might be a differn't story as first investment adds up to $15 ea thought, with the cost coming down every time you make another decoy.

(Edited by huntducks at 1:33 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

RanchRoper

Reaction score
From what they told me if you by the 2 gallon mix for the bodies it should make 16-17 decoy bodies on the standard 16" puddle duck.  There is no way I would use the mix and boil.  It costs way to much to ship.  Thanks for the input though.

huntducks

Reaction score
RR

That's what I figured my numbers on the 2 gal material, it said 8 std decoys out of 2qt so you will get 32 out of 2gal then the heads if there numbers are right you get 48 heads out of 2 gal of material.

So to just get 4 doz. decoys you will spend $128 for molds. then $ 120 for body material and then $60 for heads, that's $308 that's about $6.40 per decoy without painting and keel.

You can buy decoys for as low as $29.95 per doz. mallards and repaint to any duck you want, and for the cost of one 2oz wheel weight you can turn them into weighted keel decoys.

this material looks like something that you might buy localy or find something else to use as the molds looked like they were quility made.

Good luck and have fun, and lets us know how the decoys turned out, maybe post a picture when done.

RanchRoper

Reaction score
huntducks,

You are right, it is somewhat costly from the start, but at least I can have fun with it during the off season.  Thanks for your input.

Swampy

Reaction score
My Dad made his own decoys with the same mold years ago. On the plus side they were practically indestructible and would not flip even in the heaviest wind. The downside was the amount of time to make each decoy and the weight of the finished product. They would work great for a hunter who has lots of time on their hands (don’t we all have a lot of that) and a permanent blind to set them up and leave out for the season.    

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Here's and idea, whoever wants to get a order together by the molds and share them as a group and everyone buys their own foam.  

Welby

Reaction score
RanchRoper, thanks for posting this link!  I like it!

I tried making my own decoys two summers ago.  I began by attempting to make a plaster of paris mold of one of my brother's mallard decoys.  My plan was to make a mold of each of his decoys and then use that expanding foam in a can to make the actual decoys.

Anyway, I made about three attempts at getting that mold right before I decided to put the project on hold for awhile.  I also realized that I didn't use decoys enough to justify the molds anyway.

But still, I am interested in the process of moldmaking and molding.  If I were going to try making the molds again, without a doubt I would make the molds out of fiberglass.  Thanks again for the link.

Top Bottom