MARK V Remote Photo Reconnaissance Unit

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Hey guys building my first and had a quick question.
I got the MS20 at walmart 8.95, success in tearing it apart, got the old relay out of there, snipped R-3, soldered my new wires cleanly.

The directions are listed for a 9.6V relay and said one leg would not be used and it would be obvious which one.  Im using a 12v relay and there are only 4 legs.  I think I wired it correctly, had to manipulate the leads to get them to line up in the holes, three on one side and one on the other .

Did I do this right?

My relay isnt working right now, but I cant verify the power source because the volt meter I bought from rs isnt working either...  I can deal with the power and VM tomorrow, just wanted to know if the relay hookup sounded right, I can take pics too, I just dont know how to post them [digital camera @ work]

Camera is wired and works 4.0

Just found this page today and emailed 2 friends, theyre already on their scavenger hunt for the equipment  :)

And to think I used to beat up kids in the Electronics Club when I was younger  [j/k]

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Steve,

The relay coil and contact terminals must match the relay you removed.  

The relay contacts must be N/O (Normaly Open) and the coil voltage must be pretty close to your batt voltage.    

(Hint:  Diode D1 leads are connected to the relay coil terminals)

Tinhorn

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Tinhorn-
Im using the 12v Radio Shack Reed Relay recommended here PN#275-233

This relay only has 4 leads, 3 on one side of the relay and a single lead on the other side.  The relay that I removed from the board was configured similarly

**Snipped from the directions** [Diode - If you use the Radio Shack PIR #49-425 then get one 1N4001 (Radio Shack #276-1101) or any general purpose silicone diode. You don't need this diode if you use the Regent MS20 PIR sensor]

Is this D-1 that youre referring to?  Im using the Regent PIR.

Tinhorn thanks for the help, Im a bit of a rock these days, but at one point in my past I could tell the resistance of a resistor from the colored lines, had it memorized... Dang NAVY Schools...

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Is it better to go with the RS motion sensor or the regent [or is this just preference?]  I noticed that with the RS PIR people modify it extensivily by mounting it inside the the case with the fresnel lense placed what appears to be flat...  are there directions for doing this?

What about 12v -v- 9v?  Right now I have a HUGE 12v lantern battery, but the 9v looks like a cool option with the RS PIR.

When running the 9v system do you put 3-4 9v batteries in parrallel or just use one?

Thanks again

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Steve,

Caution
You have to watch bending Reed Relay terminals around too much, reed relays are sensitive and can easily be damaged.  I used a 5v reed relay once and added lead extensions to it and soldered it in "Upside" down rather than bend the original leads.....

protection diode
U r rite, D1 is the diode that is referenced

PIR
There is no "Best" PIR to use I don't think.  I use the Regency (MS20) PIR myself, only $8 and it's sensitivity is greater than the RS PIR (somesay this is a drawback but I think it's no problem)

The MS20 PIR draws a little more current than the RS PIR but I  prefer it personaly (it is a personal thing, u r rite again in this matter)  I use 2 battery sources, either a 6v lantern battery in my "Normal" size Cam, it lasts 5 or 6 months, the other cams are "Mini" Cams and I use 4 AA's in series (adding up to 6v), they last 2-4 weeks.  Another possibility is 4 "C"s which would last 4 or 5 months.  You can purchase battery holders at RS for a couple bucks

PIR Installation:
I have never used the RS PIR so can't speak for that but on the MS20, I use a hole saw to bore a 1-3/4" hole in the cam enclosure where I want the PIR to be.  I saw off the front of the "RainHood" from the PIR (cut straight across so the PIR sets against the enclosure and don't rock) and glue the PIR onto the housing with the PIR looking out the hole.  I then pack rope caulking around the hole, sealing it,  and paint the caulk to match my camo....

Tinhorn

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Tinhorn-
Thanks for the reply.  I think I screwed up my relay two ways, first, on the single lead, I am going into the wrong hole, In the directions it said to place the relay back into the holes from the relay that was just removed.

I have a picture but I dont know how to attach it, I can email it to you if you like.

The second thing is I bent the sh*t out of the leads to get it to fit...  So Im thinkin Im out a couple bucks

Do you think a 12v power supply is excessive, I got one of the big 12v lantern batteries, I have the realestate to make it fit [ammo box] so its not in the way... just curious.

one last one then Ill shut up
On the PIR, are you cutting straight across right in front of that white shield then placing the fresnal lense flat against the housing?  That looks really cool, I just want to make sure I do it right. Do you still use the white shield?

Thanks again tinhorn.

(Edited by Steve Jo at 2:06 pm on Dec. 7, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I swopped out the Cam pix with this drawing......

Hey! am I an Artist or what ! ! ! ! !

12v is not overkill I don't guess but 6v does me just fine and don't cost an arm and a leg and don't weigh all that much either

6v lantern (alkaline) $7     4 AAs   $2

Tinhorn

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Thanks again Tinhorn, that explains it alot better.  I like the idea of mounting the PIR internally.

Can you cover the out side of the hole for the PIR with a piece of glass or does that affect sensitivity?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
You cannot cover the Fresnell Lens with glass, etc, it won't work

Tinhorn

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Ok, I took the 12v back and rewired in a new 5v reed relay.
I got a 6v lantern battery.

Still not working, any suggestions?  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Why don't you "Scan" the top and bottom of the MS20 and Post the pix's here so I can see exactly where you hooked everything, etc

or, you can email me the pix, either way, I guess it don't matter...........

(You can scan things like these boards on a regular scanner in case you didn't know, the scanner don't care if it's a pix or not)

Tinhorn

Steve Jo

Reaction score
I wired in a 9v relay and a 9v power supply and it works now, no idea why it wasnt before, batteries were strong, connects were solid.

Can I take 6 C or D batteries in series to make a workable 9v system?  How long will this last?  Is it better to do 2 banks of 6 (parrallel) or is that overkill?

Thanks for the help tin.  How do you post pics on this board?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jesse has put some directions on the top of each forum on how to post pix's

Take a look at "Random Thoughts" about Battery's, I just added a post there on Battery Info

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom