Mastercard Moment on the Salt Ponds

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Well, not much in the way of birds on the salt ponds this morning, but I did have the following moment.  

Jay's blind is right down the pond from mine, and we met up this morning.  The wind and rain looked promising...although the rain had died to occasional splats, the wind was cranking upward of 20 knots.

Anyway, a pair of widgeon dropped in on Jay's blocks, and a brief volley sailed one.  With the wind, the bird kited out about sixty yards, then hit the water and continued to head out.  The bird disappeared in the chop, and the dog didn't see it.  

I'm observing from my blind.

I see the dog cast around close to the blind for a minute before giving up and looking back for guidance.  Then I see Jay nosing the canoe out from under the blind.

The wind is at his back, and he gets out to the bird easily enough.  But now he has to turn the canoe around and get back.  Here's where it got interesting.  With no weight in the bow of the canoe, the wind kept pushing it outward. Finally, I see Jay begin paddling backward... all the way back to the blind.  It was my Mastercard moment, although the full impact is probably only realized by being there:

3" Magnum Nitro-Steel shotshells- $12
Columbia Quad Parka- $250
Season Lease for Blind- $500

Watching Jay paddle that canoe backward all the way across the pond...PRICELESS!

Jay

Reaction score
Ah, but you missed Randy in the mudhole slowly sinking and unable to get out. Had to get the canoe back out and rescue him.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Randy in the mud...

That was my other Mastercard moment of the day, and a true classic, but not knowing Randy all that well, didn't think I should pick on him yet.  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That would have been a hoot to watch, but having struggled with a canoe on a few  occasions I know how you must have felt Jay.

Any pics Spec? :smile-big-blue:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom