Mathews LX Question

BigSwad

Reaction score
Well I have a Mathews LX with draw length of 30" and set about about 68 pounds. I shoot beman elites, have the Vital Bow Gear Vital drop, have a string nock and use a moongoose release. I have the original Mathews cable and replaced the string about a year ago with a Zebra? string.

My problem is that occasionally when I draw back, I don't hit the breakover point. So it wants to move forward. Doesn't happen awhole lot, but it just seems like I have a very small "wall" at the breakover point. Would a new set of cables and strings help to eliminate this or is it something in my shooting form? The person who works on my bow is a Mathews prostaffer and he told me it was my form, even though I took a couple of his tips and it doesnt seem to help much.

Also, I have seen others talk about fall-away rests and not many mention the Vital bow gear one. Is there any known issues with it? I have really liked it so far, but my grouping is only about 1.5 inches at best typically, which is why I need to learn how to tune the bow better.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
sounds to me like you should really replace your cable and id put a new string on there as well. the LX has been out a long while and im sure that cable has seen better days. id almost guarantee that the serving is all separated where the cam rolls over. i would look at a good set of aftermarket string like Winners Choice or other quality brand.

As far as the valley goes it sounds as though you may be "creeping" before the shot. this will make it feel as though the bow wants to go before you want it to. try shorting up your release a bit more so you can get more of your index finger around the trigger. i see a lot of people who have their releases lengthened out to far and they almost have to reach to touch the trigger and it causes them to creep. also do some blank bale shooting and practice back tension and pulling through the shot.

I haven't heard much about the Vital Gear rest. So cant offer much on the way of info there.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Good advice from OA. Definitely change out your string and cable. Throw those Zebra strings in the trash. That will help your wall feel more solid. Also when you are holding at full draw, focus on your back tension. Hold your back muscles firm and pull into the thumb pad of your lower palm on your grip hand. Focus on the feeling of back tension and the feeling of pressure from the grip on the base of your hand and you should firm up your hold at full draw.

BigSwad

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket cable as well, or do you only get those from the OEMs? Thanks for the advice. I will try the tension thing more. I didn't think about it but I did lengthen my release one notch, and that might have made the difference.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
yes there are aftermarket cables. any of the after market string makers will make cables to. its always best to change the cable when you change the string too.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Absolutely. I always replace string and cable at the same time. Remember that the timing of any bow, be it single or dual/hybrid cam, is affected by changes in length of either the string or the cable. So if one stretches and the other doesn't, or if one stretches more than the other, you lose efficiency and will have tuning issues. Change them out together. For maximum stability, consider a string/cable set made of BCY 452X. Most of the top aftermarket brands will offer this material. It won't stretch or creep at all virtually. Some may experience a 2-3 fps decrease in string but it's not significant.

Winners Choice are excellent but you'll pay for the brand name. Other good ones are Bucknasty, Vapor Trail, H&M, Stone Mountain, and I'm sure there are even more out there.

m57jager

Reaction score
Nealy bowstrings are excellent too. They are made by the original maker/ co-owner of winners choice. When I first bought my Mathews Ultramax w/ a Zebrastring(junk) I shot great. All of a sudden I started shooting in a pie plate instead of a silver dollar. It was the string the whole time.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom