Mearns’ quail limit change to 10 per day in Arizona

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
AZ F&G Press Release

4/2/02

The other focus of intense public discussion during the two-day commission meeting was quail, or more specifically, Mearns’ quail. After hearing all the testimony pro and con, the commission reduced the bag limit on Mearns’ quail to 10 per day, with 30 in possession. Various commissioners pointed out that the decision to lower the bag limit was not biological, but social in nature.

A note will be added to the hunting regulations reminding all quail hunters that Commission Rule R12-4-305 requires persons transporting or possessing quail, that each quail have attached a fully feathered head, or fully feathered wing, or leg with foot attached.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 When I was there two years ago it was eight and I didn't see anyone with anywhere near a limit.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
I think that limits of Mearns Quail are like the limit of dove with a box of shells.  I'm sure it happens, I've just never seen it.

Brian - how do you feel about a trip to AZ this fall to chase some of these?  I still need a pair for the mantle.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Sondog,
 We will see how my other trips out of state go, I will have to see if I can afford the money and the away from family time.  I recommend to anybody who enjoys hunting upland birds to go and whether you kill birds or not you will have a good time.  One thing I would do different on the Mearns is go the first part of December instead of the last week of January like we did before.

Brian

docramo

Reaction score
Definitely would be interested in a Mearns hunt if anyone is looking for some company. We have hunted Az. extensively for Gambels but no Mearns yet. Let me know if anyone is going to chase some Mearns or Scales.

Mojave

Reaction score
What does the Az FGD say about combined take/possesion limits on mixed species? For instance, what if a hunter split a hunt between Scaled or Gambel Quail, and Mearns or Montezuma? I know the habitats of the different species are somewhat different, but since they crossover geographically, seems like it would be possible to try each type out, on one single trip.

Mojave

Reaction score
Oops. I remembered that Mearns and Montezuma are the same. Had it in my head Az had 4 species, but I guess Bobwhites are now locally extinct.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 The limit is the aggregate of the three species of which you can't have more than ten mearns.  I highly recommend to anybody going down there for th efirst time to buy Web Parton's book, Wingshooters Guide to Arizona.  This book covers it all right down to where to hunt, eat and stay.

Brian

Mojave

Reaction score
Thanks, Brian - I will try to add that book to my collection. Where to eat and stay shouldn't be an issue, as I have lots of family in Tucson, and I'm out there every other month or so. If the drive back to Tucson is too much, we'll just sleep in my old camper. We actually have hunted a bit in Arizona, but so far it has just been Gambel Quail and doves around Marana.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 When we were there we hunted south of Tucson where we could hunt all three species.  We hit a freak two day snow storm and  killed scalies and Gambles but no sign of Mearns, they say they had been pretty shot out by the time we got there.  It is a good 18 hour drive to where we hunted from where I live in Norhtern CA.

Brian

Top Bottom