Meat Buff Down

Urge2Hunt

JHO Sponsor
Here is a pic of one of our hunters and his recent meat buffalo taken in Northern Calif. on over 3,000 acres of regular hunting terrain. As wild as a Calif bison hunt can be with about 500 pounds of meat for the freezer. If anyone is interested in either meat or trophy buffalos, this is a great hunt.
[email protected]

Attachments

Where's Bruce?

Clarification

Here is a pic of one of our hunters and his recent meat buffalo taken in Northern Calif. on over 3,000 acres of regular hunting terrain. As wild as a Calif bison hunt can be with about 500 pounds of meat for the freezer. If anyone is interested in either meat or trophy buffalos, this is a great hunt.
[email protected]

While I am a huge fan of bison, I feel your post is somewhat misleading, as inadvertent as that may be. In order to get "about 500 pounds of meat for the freezer" the shooter must kill a trophy bull weighing more than one ton. That is considerably larger than the one in the photo shown which i would place near the 600lb mark (about 150lbs of bison meat). I saw that guy on The Wild Within claim bison hunters can get 750lbs of meat from "one of these beasts" which is pretty much nonsense. Not a lot of 3000lb bison walking around. The average "good shot" will equate to 25% of the animals weight in edible meat. A bad shot can really reduce this. I spoke to a processor who took in a 2000lb class bison he called the Swiss Buffalo. It had been shot 14 times and hit everywhere. They were able to salvage almost 200lbs of meat (mostly ground) because the shooter did such a poor job. BTW...aging really makes bison great so don't be in a hurry to toss it in the freezer.

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

This one weighed 2009lbs and netted 511lbs of meat.

This one weighed 600lbs and netted 155lbs of meat

But hey...go ahead and shoot one and learn the direct way.

inchr48

I believe you, just seems odd that they are so different than cattle. Bigger bones I guess is a lot of it.

k_rad

I bet those hides weigh close to 200 lbs and the head must be good for 100-150

Last edited:

inchr48

In the Canadian link I posted, the carcass is just under my 60% of live weight guess, at 56%. Subtracting fat and bone still yields 42% in their example. The difference must be completely boning out the cuts.

No matter how you cut them up, good eating all the way around.

Where's Bruce?

Agreed. Using a commercial processor you should expect to lose 25-35% from the hanging weight to the final meat going in your freezer due to bone, fat, and inedible parts loss. That's assuming you want soup bones, shanks and such...I didn't. About 40% arrived in ground/stew meat. This is what you get from a buff.
Tenderloin steaks
T-bones
Rib steaks
Sirloin steaks
Sirloin tip steaks (or you could opt for sirloin tip roast)
Round steaks (or you could opt for round roast, cube steak)
Flank steak
Short ribs
Chuck roast
Round roast (see above)
Sirloin tip roast (see above)
Rump roast (depending on the animal size, small animals have teeny rumps!
Stew meat
Burger (lots of it)
Soup bones/shanks

If the fat is yellow it has been feeding on grass...if it's white then it's a farmed grain eater and the meat will taste less like buff (which is sweet) and more like cattle.

Last edited:

asaxon

Where's Bruce? seems to know a great deal about Buffs. I don't. The only ones I know about are on Catalina where you have to push em off the road when deer hunting. Let me also say that I have no problem shooting rather "tame" animals to eat and if they told me I could shoot one on Catalina (never going to happen - they give 'em birth control injections to limit the number), I'd do it for the good food.

My question is whether there are buffalo hunting places where it is a challenge to find/shoot them. I'm a "relearning" old guy (rifle, not bow) and I really like the hunting part - the hunt/chase and while getting a shot is a finale, it is not the key to making it a good experience for me.

Your input would be appreciated.

Where's Bruce?

There are a couple of options available to you.
1. Farm raised (grain fed) buffs that they "release" onto the property for you to 'hunt" as you see fit. Understand that you buy the buff before they release it...you fail to find/kill it...that's your prob.
2. Herd ranches where you shoot and then pay based on size. Downside is this, if you shoot the big bull in the heard (trophy bull) the other males will ram it for an hour. Payback is a B####.

Which option suits you?

palladin

1. Farm raised (grain fed) buffs that they "release" onto the property for you to 'hunt" as you see fit. Understand that you buy the buff before they release it...you fail to find/kill it...that's your prob.
2. Herd ranches where you shoot and then pay based on size. Downside is this, if you shoot the big bull in the heard (trophy bull) the other males will ram it for an hour. Payback is a B####.

Which option suits you?
Is that part of the "tenderizing" you mentioned previously? :halo:

asaxon

Buff and Buffy

Which option suits you?
Option 2 might hold some interest but only if you/they have to really hunt them while from the tone of your note, is suspect you are telling me these are rather passive herds of animals. I saw a video at NativeHunt and the buffalo herd stood there as the person "snuck up on them" and shot one with a bow. I think the hunter could have probably walked right up to the animal and hit it with a rock like the ones on Catalina. Not of interest to me. Anyway, if you or anyone has names/recommendations for places in California, I'll check 'em out though it sounds like I'll probably continue to spend my time/money on learning about hog hunting and the only Buff in my life will be watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer but who knows. I love the idea of the rest of the bulls tenderizing the dominant bull - do they do that only after it is dead or will they do that if it is alive but seriously wounded?

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Most ranch herds are like cattle, they drive you within 50 yards and you can shoot over the hood. i know this because youtube is loaded with em and I din't like that. Colorado, Utah and Nebraska have real hunts, their herds roam free for the most part on large parcels of land and are pretty wary of anything with two legs. They also taste better because they live only on grass...not gain. Prices vary so shop around. Avoid ranches that "bring in" or "cage" the buffs much of the time. They might walk right up to ya looking for food.

Last edited:

TonyS

Andy,

If you were ever to actually approach one of those 'tame' Catalina buffs you would realize that like my story this weekend they stand in the road and glare at you. "You want some of this?" is what they ask. An animal the size of a 1937 DeSoto can be intimidating to say the least.

asaxon

Respect

Tony. I most definitely agree although only a few of us know what a 1937 Desoto looked like. They have my full respect. I have enountered these big buffs on Catalina in and right next to the road and don't get out of the vehicle. I even "stalked" one once in a gully thinking it was the last lost hog on Catalina as I heard "grunting" only to have an big old bull buffalo walk out of the brush some 20 min later. Not the one in the photo, this one was standing by the road "doing lunch".

You want part of me.jpg

Where's Bruce?

[video=youtube;YiqzpvpwljY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqzpvpwljY&feature=related[/video]

Well...they are wild animals. Tourist who forget that little fact learn the hard way.

Last edited:

russ209

I never knew there bison ranches in california! Very interesting! Hunting one with my bow is a my dream hunt!

KTKT70

any info on Bitterwater outfitters?? 3500 acres of land and a free roaming herd sounds good.

jbcaptain11

i didn't know there was buffalo hunting in california. haha i knew there were a few in catalina but i thought they weren't anywhere else in the state and i would only spend the money to do a real hunt if they just stand and stare at u u may as well go shoot a texas longhorn in a pen

Top Bottom