• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Meat preservation

Digger31

Hey guys, I am heading up boo hunting out of Kotz on Sept 8th. One of my big concerns is meat preservation in the field. The issue is that I will be there for 6 days and temps can reach 60 degrees that time of year. I have some ideas and understand to cool the meat immediately but am looking for recommendations beyond that. Thoughts?

sagebrush

Hang it in the shade or throw it in a cool creek if you have one nearby. Keep it in a breathable game bag whatever you do. My wife makes simple game bags from unbleached muslin. Just cut a rectangle twice the size you want, fold in half, sew around two sides and turn inside out. She uses a surger that puts a wide, heavy stitch. Been using them for ten years.

Lost_By_Choice

Don't forget to cover it with a tarp or something to keep the rain and sun off of it. Keep the tarp off the meat though so air can get to the meat and form the protective crust. Good luck finding a tree to hang the meat from though ;)

Top Bottom