Mechanical Broadheads

sc419795

Reaction score
I am a relatively new bow hunter - 4-5 years.  I am currently using a 3 blade, 100 grain, thunderhead broadhead.  I have read quite a bit about mechanical broadheads.  I am trying to determine if I should switch over to the mechanical type broadhead.  I hunt from a tree stand for whitetail deer.

I am interested if anyone has an opinion on this topic, as well as any recommendations of mechanical broadheads - or possibly a recommendation for fixed position broadheads as well.

treestandman2

Reaction score
Hi Tominator,
   I use a  Spitfire 100 gr. and so do my buddies.  We love them, tear a big hole, fly straight and overall just work great.  The fixed broadheads can windplane, not always but can.  I shoot a 185lb Ten point crossbow and I am a stickler for details so I even bought the spitfire practice tips to make sure everything would be ok.  Don't bother and save your money, the real heads fly perfect.  Just use a standard field point of the same weight when practicing and they will both shoot in the same place.  Good hunting.  
  Put up a tree stand today, saw two bucks driving to the area, one a real shooter.  I am pumped and the season is two months away!

shadow

Reaction score
I personally like Fixed heads.  I have shot Muzzy and Steal Force with great results from both.  I have tried mechanical a couple of times but when one failed to expand on impact I never used them again, I spent a day chasing down a wounded deer because of it.  Also I hunt Ranch's once and in a while and some don't let you use Mechanicals for that very reason.  

As for practice that's where I like the Muzzy's for fixed blade because you can get pratice blades to replace the razor blades without effecting the sighting and weight and not having to remove the whole broadhead.  I had good result's on the Mechanicals though within an inch or two between the mechanicals and field tips.

Cdad

Reaction score
I shoot 100 grain 3-blade Muzzy- mechanical blades are way to iffy for me, especially for quartering away shots. Muzzys website has a really good article about this well worth reading http://www.muzzy.com (?) Just make sure you time your arrows (line the blades up exactly to the broadheads, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Cdad

Reaction score
Typo- sorry I meant to line the blades on your broadheads up exactly with your feathers/vanes. That is the correct address for Muzzy and the article is on the left side bar titled "Why Muzzy?" Hope this helps.

rutnduck

Reaction score
Your asking a loaded question with little info to go on....The mechanicals will work great if your bow has the energy to push them.  I would recommend at least 55 lbs of energy (NOT draw weight) to shoot a mechnical.  The NAP Thunderhead is a great broadhead, I have several of them packed away for when my kids get old enough.  I switched to the NAP Spitfire 100 mainly because it doesn't have any 'O' rings to deal with.  To find out if your bow created enough energy in your arrow you need to know your total arrow weight (fletching, insert, nock, shaft, broadhead) and how fast you bow ACTUALLY shoots.  http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html   Thsi web page has a KE calculator that figures the energy of your arrow.

Mechanicals do make an exceptional blood trail and tune much easier.  Whatever you choose, make sure it feels good to you, b/c without confidence in your equipment, failure is in your grasp!

mike88

Reaction score
my 2 cents..well me personally I liked fixed blades. reason is that we have shot several deer ( 4 to be exact ) that have had expanding broadheads lodged somewhere in the body. just some fine tuning of a fixed broadhead and they will fly straight to.

marmot

Reaction score
I like the mechanical heads best. In 40 years of bow hunting, I have never found a fixed broadhead that flew like the same weight of field or target point. Some were better and some were worse but none were the same.

The mechanical broadheads that I use now are the Spitfire 100gr 3 blade and with the target blade inserts, they fly EXACTLY like the broadheads.

Admittedly, they might be a bit less durable than the fixed blade but they are more than adequate for deer and bear.

hickstick

Reaction score
JMTC...but you couldn't pay me enough to use mechanical heads!    Fixed, cut on contact, resharpenable two or 3 blades on my woodies.  I wouldn't trust mechanicals, even if I did go back to bow with training wheels he he he.  :)

seriously, I do hunt with stickbows, but I was a compounder for a while and I couldn't stand the thought of launching something at an animal and 'hoping' it opened up.

VA Hunter

Reaction score
I like the convience of fixed but I like the power of mechanical. I did shoot Aluminum arrows with 125 grain game tracker serated broadheads but now I shoot carbon arrows with 100 grain rocket spitfires. Thanks

rijrnnr

Reaction score
Here's my .02 worth...
When I first started bowhunting, and the next few years after, there was huge debates over aluminum vs. carbon. Carbon had some significant issues, mainly manufacturing techniques if memory serves me correctly, that they eventually got worked out.
I would have to say the same with mechanicals. There have been some significant design improvements the last two or three years that have improved reliability. One of these days I will probably give em a shot.
Either way, its still no excuse for not insuring your bow is in tune, arrows set up correctly, and matched for your draw wieght.
However, I still use Thunderheads. They have done the job for me for the past 16 years.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom