Mechanical heads

rh44mag

Reaction score
I have been thinking for the last couple of years of switching to mechanical broad heads. I think this year I will take the plunge. What is everybody else using? I would kinda like to hear some success stories as well as any problems that people have with mechanicals. Also what kinda poundage you are pushing them with. I figure a few success storied will help fire me up for season even if it is 100 deg. here today.

BDB

Reaction score
I normally use fixed heads (Montec G5's) on tough critters (pigs etc). I have carried the mechanicals a few times for deer and shot my first one with them this year. I use the NAP Spitfire 125's. I like the construction, the no rubber bands and the 1.5" cutting diameter. It worked like a champ and I had a nice big whole to let out lots of blood. I normally shoot around 68lbs but am now back around 63. I shoot about 62ft/lbs of KE with the lower weight. It was a bad (not where I aimed at least) hit because the deer ducked my arrow and spun 180 degrees catching the arrow in the middle of the neck on the opposite side I was aiming for. Only hit meat and the juggular (no spine) and it opened him up and he was down in 30 yards. I also have friends that use this head exclusively and have never had a bad experience with over a dozen deer between them using the spitfires.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
I also use spitfire but in 100 grain. I shoot a hoyt vortech at 80 lbs and a 500 grain arrow. Since swiching to the spitfires I have shot 4 deer and they were recovered in 20, 32, 35 and 70 yards from the shot. The 70 yard recovery was an early season doe, opening day of bow october 14th 2002 I believe. She jumped the string badly. I entered a bit far back but it turned into a quartering to shot so I missed the vitals and the arrow exited the opposite rear leg. With all the leaves on the trees and brush it was hard to see where she went. Thank god for the huge hole in her and the nice blood trail that led me to my venison bounty. I love the way they fly just like field points. I get 3" groups at 40 yards all day long. There have been a few reports of people saying they did not open but none have been substantiated. As with any broadhead you put it in the right spot it does its job. On the other hand if you dont you are going to lose some deer. I believe you will lose less deer on less than perfect hits than with a traditional head due to the large cutting area.

The 20 yard recovery was a doe I shot last october. Perfect double lung and arrow sticking in the ground behind her. She stood there for a minute not knowing what happened and then bounded three times and fell over. It doesnt get any better than that!!!

Rob

harleydavidone

Reaction score
Wasp Jack Hammers for me, I have been using them for probley 8-9 years and have taken in the neighbor hood of 18-20 deer with them and three bear. I have been bow hunting since 1980 and have taken 78 deer and have tried just about everything out there and just seem to go back to them because of there dependability and how deadly they are...

I shoot a Mathews Q2 at 74 lbs. with Beeman carbon arrows

'Ike'

Reaction score
RocketSteelhead 125's!!! These and the Ultimate Steel's..........

Here's what the Steelhead did last year! Entry!!!

Attachments

'Ike'

Reaction score
Here's the exit!!! The shot was at 50 yards quatered away....He traveled maybe 50 yards after the shot........Good luck!!!

Attachments

Fred Bear

Reaction score
I agree with the wasp jak hammers or the rocket sidewinders. This is a rocket exit wound from about 22 yards mathews legacy at 64 #

Attachments

harleydavidone

Reaction score
Yep, both the Wasp and some of the Rockets have a longer nose than the other ones to let the broadhead get started before the blades expand if you shoot the animal at a steep angle.

i make oil

Reaction score
I shoot 100g votex. They open up to 3.5". They make holes big enough to stick your hand into. Shot a 350# hog last year and he walked 5 steps and fell over. Awsome performance. Used to shoot Muzzy's they are tuff but don't make a big enough hole.

bradj

Reaction score
I refuse to use mechanicals.
I use muzzys fly just like my field tips.
Why won't I use mechanicals?
just one more thing that can go wrong and remember what can go wrong will go wrong when you least expect it.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I will also be differant.. got nothing against them directly Im just old school and never deviated from whats always worked for me in the past and have never seen a reason to change... I shoot Muzzys as well 125 grain on Gold tip Pro Hunters 5575's... They fly well for me...

One of these days I will give them a try. Just never have its like anything thats been trust worthy and has your confidence you just stick woth it.

Dan

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Originally posted by bradj@Aug 25 2004, 07:26 PM
I refuse to use mechanicals.
I use muzzys fly just like my field tips.
Why won't I use mechanicals?
just one more thing that can go wrong and remember what can go wrong will go wrong when you least expect it.
I agree, what can go wrong will go wrong. But I have a little differant take on things and have gone to mechanicals at times for just that reason. It is one thing to hunt close to home or out of a camp with a good target butt. When I hunt like this I normally use fixed blade T-heads. Trouble is much of my hunting is done many miles from roads, much of it off horses or by backpacking. Always traveling as lite as possible a target butt normally consists of nothing more than a gunny sack filled with sand or whatever soft dirt I can find, if I have a target at all. Tuning can really be a chore with fixed blades if a string breaks. Maintaining a tune can be tough on a rough hunt. I have knocked my bow out of tune more than once and missed as fixed heads did their own thing. Those could have ended up being ugly rather than misses. In contrast I have yet to knock a bow out of tune far enough to scew up a spitfire and accuracy and performance is outstanding on deer. I have yet to have a spitfire fail. I do prefer fixed for larger or tougher animals than deer, but they do work and I feel they do have their place.

brut

Banned
Reaction score
i've been using gametracker silvertips for about 6 years now youll get nothing but praise from me about them. The first two deer I shot with them three nights apart fell in exactly the same spot, about 10 yards from where I shot them. They fly great and make a beautiful hole. Another deer I shot thru the front shoulder with no problems.

PYROMEDIC

Reaction score
If you choose your shots carefully (as we all should) and stay away from heavy bone mechanicals will work awesome. I have used rocket 100gr sidewinders for several years with great success. Have taken more than one animal with the same head several times after only a blade change. But.... I am only human and am very capable of messing up a shot. With that being said, if you hit shoulder, the mechanicals just won't have the penetration of a fixed head. Especially at steep angles. Also an almost vertical shot with mechanicals is a no no as they just don't have the penetration to go through the spine, exit the underside, and leave a good bloodtrail somrtimes. As for me, I'm going back to fixed. My shakey hunter seems to have rid me of the critical tuning problems that fixed heads always seemed to give me. I guess I'm with bradj.

Just my

Top Bottom