Meindl Boots

BrandonA

Reaction score
I've searched the previous topics and good some good information, but I'd like to delve a little deeper for you guys that have these boots.

Which version do you have and do you prefer one version over another? I personally have it narrowed down to Denali's or Perfekt 10's but I'm not sure which way I should go (if it even matters)... So would you guys mind throwing out your testimonials/opinions on the Meindl's you've worn before?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Funny you mention those two. I have extensive experience with both. The Perfekts were the farthest thing from perfect for a hunting boot. Very comfortable, but the squeaked like mad. Both pairs I had squeaked. Cabelas was good about taking both pairs back even after they were well worn. I've since heard of numerous complaints of the same problem.

The Denalis are awesome. I love that boot. At first, if you are not used to the feel of a European style mountaineering/hiking boot, they might feel stiff. After you get used to them though, you will never go back to the typical Danner/Rocky type hunting boot. They are tennis shoe comfortable yet extremely supportive. I turned a buddy onto them and after a long steep gnarly sidehill he remarked that the amazing thing about this boot is that if your ankle starts to roll but the boot wont let it. The support of the boot pulls you right back up. It's great all the way around.

I'd also check out the Alaskan Hunter/Hiker too. Same concept.

Archer32

Reaction score
I have the Perfekt Hikers and love them. I found out about the squeak problem on my first elk hunt miles away from the truck. If you load the tongue of the boot up with Nikwax for suede it goes away. Thats the only draw back. Otherwise its the best boot I've owned for early season hunts. I also wear them daily. Ther run about a 1/2 smaller from what all of my other shoes are.

For colder stuff I wear a Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400. The boots are a beast to break in, but after that they are very very nice. They're heavy boots. I tire out quicker wearing them vs. the Perfekts

You asked about versions of boots. For me out here in MT I need two distint pairs of boots to use throughout the season in order to match the changing temps. Good luck on your decision. If you can try them on before purchasing that'd be a bonus.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I wore the Meindl Canada boots for about 10yrs and really liked them. I did go to another boot though because even the 200grs of thinsulate had my feet sweating too much. Haven't tried the others.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
I have the Alaskan non-insulated ones and love'em.....they're a bit stiff, but super comfy.

One Track

Reaction score
I have the Meindl Ibex. It took five or six years to wear the tread off the first pair. I'm on my second. The Ibex isn't as stiff as the others mentioned here, but is still very supportive, and less expensive. It's got 200 grams, completely waterproof and comfortable. I can't imagine hunting in anything but this boot. I buy mine a half size too big to make from for big socks. I put custom footbeds in there and they get perfectly snug with room for the toes on the downhill stuff.

ksberry209

Reaction score
I have the Alaskan HUnters and really like them. Mine are not insulated but since I do almost 100% of my hunting in CA I really dont need anything extra (yet). If the weather is cool I will use a under sock and a nick thick outer sock. Never had a problem so far.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I have the Ibex by Meindl. I could not recommend them more. Best boot ever (and it the cheapest one made by Meindl).

BrandonA

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, There are more options everytime I seem to look! I'll probably end up with a low count of insulation (200-400) with gore-tex liner.... From my research it seems most the squeekiness eventually goes away after they're worn in - is that correct? Do some just take longer to get rid of the noise?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
The squeak I had on the Perfekt Hunters never went away regardless of how much conditioner I put on them. I really wore them in too. Fortunately Cabelas still took them back.

AZ Ron

Reaction score
Just got back from a 6 day pack in bear hunt in southern AZ where I wore a pair of Meindl Denali with Fit IQ. It took a while to break them in, but after doing so they felt great. I think I put about 30-35 miles on them prior to the trip.

I bought them to replace a pair of Danner Frontier (UI) boots that I wore last year on the same trip. The Danners didn't have as stiff a shank/sole as I would have liked for carrying a heavy pack over uneven terrain. The Meindl Denalis are much more of a backpacking boot than the Danner's I wore last year.

The Denali's state they are uninsulated, but they were a very warm boot. Of course, daytime highs sometimes reached the low 80's which didn't help.

I found the sole on them sturdy enough for backpacking, but the upper could have stood to be a bit stiffer, imo. A few months ago I tried on the old Denali's and the new Denali Fit IQ's, and the older ones seemed stiffer on the upper, but the newer ones overall more comfortable and not squeaky (new out of box in store). The flexible upper seemed to make side hilling a little tougher, and I actually tweaked my ankle slightly late one afternoon dropping off a ledge into loose dirt. (I was getting pretty tired and my laces weren't really cranked down on the upper portion of the boot either, which might have made a difference.)

Overall, I was pretty pleased with them. I'm looking forward to some future trips in them. They have great traction over rocks, loose dirt, and wet river rock. I like the rubber rand around the outside of them, to help protect them from the sharp rocks that inhabit the areas I tend to hunt. I wore them through a couple of shallow stream crossings where they were completely submerged to about halfway up the boot and I didn't have any leaks.

I'd probably give them about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 right now. If I hadn't 'tweaked' my ankle, it'd be a higher rating. They are a very comfortable boot once broken in. They actually flex a bit more than I thought they would.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
I went with the Alaska Hunters after much deliberation between them and the Denali and Perfekt. In terms of out-of-the-box in store comfort, the Perfekt had the best feel, followed by the Denali and then the Alaska. But in terms of stability, that ranking was reversed. The Alaska is pretty much a mountaineering rated boot (with toe and heel shelves for crampons if so desired). Almost get the sense of wearing ski boots they're so stiff. Also, the material and rubber shielding seemed much superior to the Perfekt. After considering the type of terrain I hunt (steep, rocky), I plopped down the extra dough for the Alaska Hunters.

Barkoff

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ksberry209 @ Apr 1 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the Alaskan HUnters and really like them. Mine are not insulated but since I do almost 100% of my hunting in CA I really dont need anything extra (yet). If the weather is cool I will use a under sock and a nick thick outer sock. Never had a problem so far.[/b]
Have you had them in the snow? Were they warm enough without insulation?

Thanks

jalanbuck

Reaction score
I've got a pair of the Perfekt Hunters. I had the squeak problem noted by others, but a little NikWax on the tongue and some silicon boot spray fixed that problem. These are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Due to circumstances (delayed shipment) I had to wear them on a backpack hunting trip in the Sierras pretty much right out of the box, but I had no problems at all with discomfort or blisters. They have 400 gr. Thinsulate and were very warm in the snow at 7000 feet.

ironworker

Reaction score
I have both Meindl Canada and Alaska boots. Both were purchased last year and I alternate them during the week at work and during my hunting trips. Even through the hot summer months I wear my Miendl boots, there so damn comfortable I can't help it.

Danner, Rocky and the other cookie cutter American boot mfr's don't hold a candle to Meindl footwear. The problem I have with meindl boots is they allowed Cabelas to be the only USA distrubuter. Meindl has many different hunting boots and hiking boots in their line up and some look better than the model Cabelas sells.

IMHO, your wasting time and money buying other brands.

What the heck is stopping you from pulling the trigger?

Rich

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have the Ibex, it has taken me a while to get the footbed to mold to my jacked up foot, but with my inserts and a bunch of miles they are getting very comfortable.

They were painful at first, causing me to almost have cramps in the bottom of my foot, but was just the stark differences between the shape of the unmolded footbed and my foot.

The ankle support is incredible, I have great ankles but with a pack on I didn't want to wear my Danner Jackals while hunting country that was real steep.

I love em. But for dayhunts I still prefer my lighter Jackals, they wear like a running shoe and are just as light. My issued Bates Jungle boots are also a great lightweight boot, but both offer zero ankle support.

Orygun

Reaction score
I had the Perfekt boots briefly. I wore them several times and they just felt well,"perfect" . Then one morning while lacing them two of the lace hooks popped out of the leather. I sent them back and got the refund. Was disappointed and didn't feel; like trying another pair at that time

I bought a pair of Meindl's in 99 and they were indestructible./ Some stitching issues (too much scree walking). wore them in 100 degrees plus and single digit temps and all sorts of moisture in between. Insulation was arm and they stayed waterproof. I darn near cried last August when the rubber soles disintegrated on me in the high country.

At some point I will get another pair.

hank4elk

Reaction score
i've been wearing Ibex for 15 yrs, 2nd pr. (cabellas-send them in torn, get a new pair) very comfortable from the get go. i,ve inserted a pair of orthotic insert from an old pair of danners, added foot pad and they are like moc's. hank

Advertisement

Top Bottom