memorial weekend success, ie...big SLO pig

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
[attachment=52126:th_dadandhog.jpg]Here's my first pig!
shot at dusk, behind the ear from about 50 yds with a 160 grain Barnes X in 30.06
He dropped in his tracks without a twitch!

Attachments

Use_Enough_Gun

Reaction score
Let me be the first to congratulate you then!

More details about the hunt, stalk, etc. always appreciated...that way we who are not out in the field can have a vicarious pig hunt.

Cheers!

daddy63

Reaction score
Congrats on the first of many hogs for you. Any details?

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
Yes, yes... Congrats! How about the story and don't forget the stats! (I'm a poet and didn't know it!)

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Congrats on your first hog flyarmyguns and welcome to JHO!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
very cool! and congrats on your wacking your first hog! welcome to JHO and the hunting forums and thanks for sharing!......tra

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
This was my second outing for hogs. I went to VAFB last month and saw 13 buck deer....and no pigs...
very frustrating!
Anyway, this time around i went up to SLO and hunted wih Nolan Twisselman and his 12 year old son who gladly tagged along. By the way, that 12 year old can skin a pig almost as well as his dad who is one heck of a veteran hunter. It's something to see.
We left around 5 to catch the magic hour, meat in the cooler by 10.
From about 1/2 a mile we saw my boar grazzing on grass peacefull as can be.
Nolan shut off his truck (we were going back to the canyons) and asked if I wanted to try to get him, of course I said I think I could get him and hopped out.
For the next 15 minutes or so I moved in on him from the downwind, with the sun behind me (and a foothill) I kept low and wasted no time.
At about 60 or 70 yds I started to think I could get him...but, every time I drew up on him the grass was over his shoulder. I was nervose about taking anything other that a great heart/lung shot.
Anyway he started to sniff the air...snout in the air kind of buisness.
Being downwind I knew he wasn't winding me, but I had no idea what was spooking him up-wind.
I decided this had become a now or never thing, he was obviosly aware of something cooking. By now I had moved a bit closer, well within th 4x Kahles clear view. So, I lifted the muzzle and pushed the I belive button. "I belive a bullet behind the ear will do the job"
I know I'm bragging but it was the nicest kill I've made and I'm proud of it!
That big son of a boar never felt a thing. He went **** up before the muzzle smoke and blood vapor were clear.
Nolan and his son snapped a couple pics, gutted him and loaded him up.......
By the way I saw many many prongnorn, elk, deer, and even an undentified badger like critter....
Like I said this was my first hog, (No, I didn't eat the heart) but I am an instant adict! I can't wait till deer ....season, VAFB watch out...lol

Latest Posts

Top Bottom