Mendota 12/1

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  I got a chance to hook up with Speckmisser at Mendota yesterday. This is the first time I have duck hunted in about 13 years and had a great time! I wanted to thank Speckmisser for answering all my questions and taking me to a good spot.
  Shooting was a little slow(by his standards...I saw more ducks than I ever have in a day of hunting) but we managed a few birds anyways. We tag teamed a nice greenhead and he got a spoonie. I should have had a few more, but haven't done much shooting since dove season.
  Now it's time to store up some brownie points so I can get up there a couple more times before the season ends.          Scott

CaRudeDogg

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good time and really thats what matters. congrats

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Scott,

It was great hunting with you.  Seemed like we had the hole where all the bulletproof birds were landing, but it's always fun anyway.

You never know what kind of person you're gonna be dealing with when you meet a stranger for a hunt, but after spending the time in the field with you, I'd certainly hunt with you again.  Safe and conscientious, and who could ask for more than that.  Seems to me you're gonna do great duck hunting.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Speckmisser! I too wondered about hunting with a stranger. I learned alot Saturday. Hopefully, we can hook up again someday when the birds aren't so bulletproof. Did you find your jacket?    Scott

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Scott,

I'd love to make another hunt down there.  Probably after Christmas, but who knows?  I think the birds are just now moving down, so later in the season oughtta be good...especially if this weather continues.  And when the specks come in, I will definitely make a couple of trips for that.

The coat didn't turn up, and that really bummed me out.  Not only was it a pretty danged expensive piece of equipment, but the fact that someone stole something like that.  After I'd told you about how no one ever messes with other hunters' stuff, someone went and stole a danged jacket.  

Of course it's possible that someone just "found" it, and "forgot" to turn it in at the check station.  I'm holding out some hope that they'll find the hunting license in the binoculars pocket, and look me up to return it.  Trying to be optimistic...  

Anyway, as I said, we'll keep in touch and definitely try to make another hunt or two down there.  

Top Bottom