mendota report

stickman

Reaction score
Hunted mendota on sat. I have never seen so many specks there. I managed to get one of then along with 3 mallards and 3 greenwings. If anyone is heading up there this weekend. The birds are flying in from somewhere just south of the refuge. I was hunting out of parking lot 19 and the birds were fling north towards the closed zone. Mainly at about 60 - 80 yards high. If the weather cooperates that should be a great area for specks this week. Also I have never seen so many mallards at mendota. I should have shot more mallards but I just couldn't call them done. They were just a little too  high. Like I said if there is any fog this week it should be great. I'd be back but have other plans. Good luck if anyone goes.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I was there Saturday as well.  I went home skunked, but not for lack of birds.  Had a couple of yahoos over across the pond who thought they were shooting anti-aircraft guns or something.  It only got worse when they finally did scratch down a pair of ducks at 60 yards.  

Specks were all over the place, but with all the shooting in the pond they wouldn't come down (until I went to jump shoot the ditches, and they circled my dekes at about 20 yards!).  The skybusters also must've had a new KMart special goose call, but didn't bother to learn to blow it.  Never saw so many geese look at the dekes, only to turn on the turbos when these guys started calling.  

Thought I'd get smart and cart the canoe down there, but the water level had dropped since my last visit.  Not enough water to paddle, so I had to haul the damned thing behind me...loaded with all my goose dekes.  Oh well.. the best laid plans.  

Heading down on Wednesday, if I can escape work long enough.  Hope to meet Scott (Grtwythnter) on our "secret" tule patch and maybe we'll have a little better luck.

Tim P

Reaction score
What with all the shooting, seems like the specks just can't work.
 I made it out of there with My first Bull Can though!  That pretty much made my day!  got a couple other birds also and tried to get someplace where I could get a speck, it just didn't work out for me.
Probably be back though as its time to get some!
TimP  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom