Mendota

Drew10

Reaction score
Well is there any water. Birds??
Any info would be helpful.

BubbaDuckTruck

Reaction score
Was at Mendota for the opener.  Seemed to be plenty of water.  Judging by the results, lots of spoonies and teals for the early season.  Usually, I see the green heads hanging on the tailgates at midmorning.  This time, not too many.  Seemed like a pretty average opener.

MikeZ

Reaction score
Hi Drew,
Are you familiar with Mendota? Are you looking for advice on where to go? I know a real good spot in a large open water pond but you gotta run to get one of the few islands.
Mike

Drew10

Reaction score
MikeZ
      I have hunted there in the past but hadnt had that great of sucess. Were is this pond you talk about. Any info would be great. Thanks!

MZALUD

Reaction score
Hi Drew,
Give me a call at 408/776/7632 and I will do my best to describe how to get to the pond we hunt. It is usually a very good spot but I am going to move out of state so I will be happy to share it with you.
Mike

WingSetter

Reaction score
Mike,

Is your spot accessible by boat or foot?. I hear that the islands, or the slough hunts really well.  Use to hunt Mendota but it got lame and there were too many people piled on top of each other.  Use to hunt out of parking lot 20 and as you stated it was a race to get the best spot.  What parking lot is your spot out of.  

MikeZ

Reaction score
Hi Drew,
The pond is out of lot 9. Yes, it is a foot race to get there but well worth it if you get 1 of the good islands.
If you have a map handy I can even tell you which pond. I don't have a map and couldn't find one posted anywhere.
Mike  

WingSetter

Reaction score
Mike Z,

Been wanting to go back and hunt Mendota How can I get in touch with you about where that spot is located?

MikeZ

Reaction score
Hey Wingsetter,
Give me a call at home this eve.
408/776/7632 and I'll be glad to share what I know.
Mike

stickman

Reaction score
I've hunted mendota several times. In my opinion your best bet is parking lot 20. This time of year there aren't to many people hunting it so you can get a decent spot. If you don't already have a map give them a call and they will fax one to you. Once you get that email me and I can give you some idea of where to go.

d trees

Reaction score
anybody have a report for today , trying to set my autopilot not sure if im going north or south . d

Baldplate

Reaction score
How has the hunting been at Mendota lately ? I am heading up to Mendota this weekend (sweat line )and was wondering how the fog situation has been. Have they been taking many geese lately (specks or honkers). It looks like the end of season crowds are starting to pick up, but I usually hunt a spot that very few ever even consider. Good luck to all and lets enjoy this last month of the season.

MQ

Reaction score
Hunted there the last 2 Saturdays and it wasn't too spectacular. If you were in a good hole you got some shooting, but if you were in a fringe area, not much. No geese to speak of. No fog to speak of either. Good luck.....

Orygun

Reaction score
hunted there on the 19th.  Lot 21/22 pretty darn slow.  Saw several specks in the air.  my girlfriend was in the rig at Lot 22. She saw three snows hanging out with the ibis and egrets just next to the lot.  They came in at shooting light and left an hour later. She also appreciated the stripshow from most of the guys leaving the lot.  Talked with the DFG guy at the checkout, he said the shooting out of 21/22 has been slow most of the season.

dhodsdon

Reaction score
Hunted Mendota on the 30th and it was pretty slow. Me and a couple of buddies just stayed for the morning shoot. I fired my gun twice and some how how hit both birds I shot at, I dont know how that happened. I ended up with a drake spoonie and a drake greenwinged teal. Only saw about a total of maybe 15 birds, mostly teal.

Baldplate

Reaction score
Did anyone shoot Mendota yesterday during the storm? With all the recent rain I imagine it will be very foggy this weekend. Good luck to all.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
My nephew and I were there. Lots of teal. He shot his first duck(greenwing) and I ended up with 3. There were lots of birds, and we both should have had more. There was no fog, but lots of clouds, and about noon the rain started. Unfortunately, we were packing up at the time, so I could get to work last night. Would have loved to stay the rest of the day. It sounded like the shooting really picked up when the rain started. When I rolled through the check station, the guy said that there were already over 400 teal on the books. Should be good Saturday. Good luck!      Scott

MikeZ

Reaction score
My nephew Chris and I shot Mendota wed. Ended with 2 pintails, 5 widgeon, 1 ringneck and 6 teal. Teal were thick. Be back there again tomorrow and next wed.
Mike

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Scott,

My email is down, so I'll ask you here...

Did you hunt that same pond where we went last month?  If so, were you able to get out in that tule patch?  I was sure thinking about it as I drove in the fog yesterday morning.

Nada pasa with the wood ducks back east.  I saw a few, but didn't really have time to put on a real hunt.  The construction of a new highway bridge through the old roosting area.  Just my luck, they had a snowstorm yesterday.  That always makes the birds go crazy.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Phillip-Same pond...same tule patch. I'm glad we accidentally found it. It was great until about 8:00 then it slowed down, but there was still plenty of shooting for the two of us. Drop me a line if you want to meet up before the season ends. I'm going to try to get up there a couple more times.
 Are you using your other email while this one is down?
Talk to you later....Scott

Top Bottom