Mexico Season Finale

venado

Reaction score
Hello folks, another Mexico season finished and I returned empty handed...again. Not unusual for a guy that has set pretty high standards, but golly my time had better arrive pretty soon or I'll be too old to go..! Life is short so enjoy even the failures for you are sure to have more of them than triumphs...! As I said in the earlier post I did get a lot of pictures of deer during the season, at last count I had photographed over 40 different bucks, of course most of them were "dinks" but even they can provide a challenge to the photographer, and there is always the chance that one can see some progress from one season to the other if you are lucky enough to see one that you recognize. That is what QDM is all about to me in my hunting situation. I saw this buck below with 3 days left in my hunt and was still looking for a better one, but one never came along so all I have to add to the trophy room is a picture of this one. All in all a great season.

Jackalope

Reaction score
That's a beautiful buck......Sorry, I would have dropped him!  :)

Mike

Spearfisher

Reaction score
He'd go 135-140".  I think Venado is looking for a 150"+ buck and I admire him for that.  Everyone wants to shoot a trophy buck, but they end up shooting the first forkie that steps out.  If someone wants just meat hunt the doe hunts.  People should leave the little forkies alone.  Last year in CA on opening day of A-zone I passed up 6 legal bucks on opening day because I wanted to shoot something with some size.  Don't get me wrong some of those bucks I saw were decent CA forkies that were 17" wide.  But I was looking for a 20" 3X3 at least.

Spearfisher

venado

Reaction score
Spearfisher, you are right on with the score. My goal is a 160, but our group of hunters did not see one all season at this new lease so guess my goal was way too high. I won't change it since I have been fortunate to have taken several decent bucks and would really like to get one in the 160 gross class. Down there in Mexico we only get one buck per season so sure as the world that I would take a lesser deer I'd see the one I really was looking for 10 minutes later..! I do not begrudge anyone taking whatever they want to take as long as it is legal and I sure don't try to put my standards on anyone else...any more than I'll accept theirs.

One of the advantages of hunting a lease is that you can get to chose who you hunt with and can get people together that have similar standards of deer quality that they will settle for.

Spearfisher

Reaction score
Venado,

My uncle has a lease in Cotulla, TX that I've hunted a few times.  This past thanksgiving they shot a 140" off the lease.  They are really trying to manage the ranch for 140"+ bucks and it seems to be working.  But as you realize it can take many years for this to occur.  Each year they shoot a few in the 140" class.  But the guys on the lease are really hardcore and generally will not shoot unless it is really big.  They kind of have an unspoken rule that it needs to be 140" or better to shoot.  This is in a 4 buck county and most guys don't even shoot 1 buck a year.  Sounds like your mexico hunts are a lot of fun.  Where do you hunt in mexico?

Spearfisher

venado

Reaction score
Spearfisher, that Cotulla area is a good "red dirt" area and many fine bucks come from there. The place I hunt in Mexico is about 5 miles directly across the river from the small TX town of San Ygnacio which is south east of Laredo.

wavesfr

Banned
Reaction score
That buck would be hanging over the fireplace. But of course I live in central california. We just don't see them like that ya know?.

venado

Reaction score
If anyone would like to see a collage of pictures that I took in Mexico this season, go to my site and click on "Mexico 2001". There are 66 photographs there.

huntducks

Reaction score
Venado nice pictures I enjoyed your site.

I love the taste of deer meat so over the years with age my standards have come down, but when I was a young man in my 20's & 30's big bucks & bulls were my first choice.

Remember that 140 will be bigger next year.

Top Bottom